Premed 101 Forums

white coat ceremony

Hello all,

I don't know too much about white coat ceremony but is it absolute that your parents must attend?

I told my parents its almost equivalent to graduation ceremony but they live 5 hours flight away from where I live....

Has anyone attended white coat ceremony by themselves?

Hello all,

I don't know too much about white coat ceremony but is it absolute that your parents must attend?

I told my parents its almost equivalent to graduation ceremony but they live 5 hours flight away from where I live....

Has anyone attended white coat ceremony by themselves?

No they don't have to be there :)

It is a ceremony that welcomes you into the profession and usually where you read the Hippocratic Oath for the first time. Many people find it to be a pretty big deal but it isn't essential that parents be there.

... you don't "need" to have anyone at graduation. That being said, you definitely don't need to have someone at your white coat ceremony.

I went on my own and several of my colleagues did as well. It's just a logistical thing. If your support system lives very far away, or you're doing this on your own, you're not obligated to bring anyone at all.

You could also start the argument about the "utility" of the white coat ceremony, and what it actually means, but that's not the point of this thread.

You could also start the argument about the "utility" of the white coat ceremony, and what it actually means, but that's not the point of this thread.

Ha - we could certainly. I actually never made it to my own white coat ceremony as I was off doing something I felt was more important at the time.

Archived