Premed 101 Forums

Claiming Northern Ontario Residency

Hi

Do the questions on NOSM's application have a place where we indicate our ties to Northern Ontario, also is there proof that we have to submit. I just want to get a head start and start preparing everything for my app.

Thanks!

I believe they ask for the address/ postal code of your high school.

Yup, they also require applicants to complete the form below, or at least they have for the past 4 years that I've been applying.

NOSM.jpg

Only few more days before OMSAS is back up :) Look forward to sharing the experience of applying with you all throughout the next year! Oh and no proof required, although I'm sure they have ways to verify applicants address.

Yup, they also require applicants to complete the form below, or at least they have for the past 4 years that I've been applying.

NOSM.jpg

Only few more days before OMSAS is back up :) Look forward to sharing the experience of applying with you all throughout the next year! Oh and no proof required, although I'm sure they have ways to verify applicants address.

How is a postal code enough to verify anything?

the postal code is probably to determine rural index and score applicants for that criteria and not as a means of verification. Verification is probably done by other means.

Agreed. I'm not on the admissions committee, so I have no clue how they verify applicants' listed addresses. However, if I had to guess, I would say NOSM assumes all applicant information true until they narrow the selection down to the top 100 or so people post interview, at which point they thoroughly assess the validity of those top applicants' claims (both on the address form and auto sketch). Verifying all 2000+ applicants seems like it would be far too resource intensive. So how do they verify those applicants' claims? Again, throwing out a wild guess, I would say they review the sketch and cross reference it with the listed addresses. It's not a far stretch to think they could also coordinate with government departments like CRA to cross check applicants address on their tax returns. I'm not too sure though how they would verify pre-high school addresses or addresses of those who grew up in another country. In any case, I'm strongly inclined to believe (and greatly hope) NOSM has designed and implemented a surefire method to catch applicants who fraudulently report on the communities they reside / resided in.

Agreed. I'm not on the admissions committee, so I have no clue how they verify applicants' listed addresses. However, if I had to guess, I would say NOSM assumes all applicant information true until they narrow the selection down to the top 100 or so people post interview, at which point they thoroughly assess the validity of those top applicants' claims (both on the address form and auto sketch). Verifying all 2000+ applicants seems like it would be far too resource intensive. So how do they verify those applicants' claims? Again, throwing out a wild guess, I would say they review the sketch and cross reference it with the listed addresses. It's not a far stretch to think they could also coordinate with government departments like CRA to cross check applicants address on their tax returns. I'm not too sure though how they would verify pre-high school addresses or addresses of those who grew up in another country. In any case, I'm strongly inclined to believe (and greatly hope) NOSM has designed and implemented a surefire method to catch applicants who fraudulently report on the communities they reside / resided in.

I doubt they cross reference with the CRA ... lol ... but rest assured if you are caught falsifying documents you will be immediately have your seat taken away as you signed the application that all information is correct to your knowledge. Many red flags I suppose could come up ... that is if your postal codes-dates dont match the autobiographical sketch and so on. Having university transcripts in a certain city not match up with the provided postal codes and date ranges would all be red flagged.

Falsifying it is not even an option as you should be considering a career as a criminal rather than a physician if your first thoughts are of writing down incorrect information to get ahead. As well I imagine any future applications would be invalid if you were once caught falsifying information.

I doubt they cross reference with the CRA ... lol ... but rest assured if you are caught falsifying documents you will be immediately have your seat taken away as you signed the application that all information is correct to your knowledge. Many red flags I suppose could come up ... that is if your postal codes-dates dont match the autobiographical sketch and so on. Having university transcripts in a certain city not match up with the provided postal codes and date ranges would all be red flagged.

Falsifying it is not even an option as you should be considering a career as a criminal rather than a physician if your first thoughts are of writing down incorrect information to get ahead. As well I imagine any future applications would be invalid if you were once caught falsifying information.

I think this is the way they prevent people from falsifying information. My personal belief is that there is no way to verify these claims. They cannot simply go and ask for information on you that you have not released to them. ie: high School transcipts, go through some government agency to try and verify place of residence. Not to mention that if you do not throw up a flag to someone reading your application imagine the logistical problem in verifying something like this. The pure fact that they can take away your seat is the preventative measure.

Haha, looking back, my comment about cross referencing with CRA is definitely overboard. Point is, which all of us seem to be getting at, is that falsifying information on ones application is extremely risky and, more importantly, highly unethical.

Haha, looking back, my comment about cross referencing with CRA is definitely overboard. Point is, which all of us seem to be getting at, is that falsifying information on ones application is extremely risky and, more importantly, highly unethical.

Exactly......albeit the incentive is there to cheat, just saying haha.

Luckily? for me I grew up in the middle of nowhere in northern Ontario haha

• 3 weeks later...

I was required to provide proof of residency (although if I recall correctly it was for Mac not NOSM) because while I was an Ontario resident I was taking my classes by distance from U of M. I just provided a photo copy of my driver's license that had a date showing I'd been at that address for more than 3 years.

If something seems fishy then they are more likely to require someone to verify their info.

Archived