Premed 101 Forums

Just wondering what everyone here will be using to take notes etc. I'm really debating on what to get or use because I've had mixed reactions in University. My last two years were very note-light and I've heard the OT program is very note-heavy so I'm not sure how to proceed. I learn and remember much more when I write, but I am not very organized or neat on paper and often can't read all of my notes. I can't write as fast as the professors speak and then to re-read my abbreviations can be a disaster! (not to mention my hand gets tired). I am very hesitant to use a computer because I get easily distracted and daze off quite quickly in front of them. Not to mention that I can't scribble and my notes become too organized in that I can't find anything either. I was thinking of purchasing a smartpen (where you write down and it transfers to the computer typed) but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I don't even know exactly how much writing I will be doing for the classes or how many notebooks I'd need for each one.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

i think you might have to do some kind of annoying quality check/review, even with the smart pen. Otherwise,

For old-school pen/paper:

- use consistent abbreviations

- as you're writing, if you see a really wonky letter/word, go back & fix it when there's a pause. that's a little gift for future you. like i know my problem is Rs (they're just one little hill; i go back and top them up).

- try different note-taking techniques, there are a few (eg Cornell method). i'm good with my arrows/diagrams/getting as much in as poss, myself.

- get either a super light/fluid/fast pen, or, a mechanical pencil (i like the latter, personally -- lose a bit of speed but gain in articulation/precision), and paper with a slight gloss (basically anything up from the very matte or very cheap). i swear it makes a difference of at least 4 ms.

laptops:

- you could try something like Outline view in Word. Forces you on-task; makes you organize the lecture hierarchically, on the fly (even with prof/class digression). i can't do that myself, but love it for taking reading notes, very efficient.

With permission, maybe you could record the lecture as a backup. More work for you, though. That could be like an incentive to stay on the ball :)

- if you think you could do this sort of thing, could also try a tablet + portable keyboard, easier on the neck/back if you're out all day.

If you're afraid of missing things while taking notes, it'd be helpful to record the lectures so you can listen to it again. I personally would go with the laptop and type out notes if you know it is a note-heavy lecture; to not get distracted, I would turn off my wifi and just keep my word document open full screen. I wouldn't mind sharing my notes with you miss anything if that helps! :)

Also, I used to have one of those pens - it really didn't work out well with me... I found that I needed to really slow down my writing in order to be neat and then I would miss information.

one of the new versions of word actually has a feature that records while you're in notebook view - the bullet points of your document act as "play buttons" for the sound that was recorded at that time in the lecture that you were working on that bullet!

If you're afraid of missing things while taking notes, it'd be helpful to record the lectures so you can listen to it again. I personally would go with the laptop and type out notes if you know it is a note-heavy lecture; to not get distracted, I would turn off my wifi and just keep my word document open full screen. I wouldn't mind sharing my notes with you miss anything if that helps! :)

Also, I used to have one of those pens - it really didn't work out well with me... I found that I needed to really slow down my writing in order to be neat and then I would miss information.

Of course I am worried about missing information... I guess there is no easy way. I am hesitant to record lectures because it creates more work afterwards (and if you're writing how do you know where everything is that you recorded in relation to it!)

Archived