Premed 101 Forums

Where and How to get a volunteer position at a Pharmacy

Evirus

Hi

I am a student hoping to apply to pharmacy soon, but I realize that I do not have any pharmacy related experience.

To me it seems like it is really difficult to get such positions without any connections. I was wondering if anyone can give some advice as to getting a volunteer position at a pharmacy or even shadow a pharmacist.

Thanks.

Hi

I am a student hoping to apply to pharmacy soon, but I realize that I do not have any pharmacy related experience.

To me it seems like it is really difficult to get such positions without any connections. I was wondering if anyone can give some advice as to getting a volunteer position at a pharmacy or even shadow a pharmacist.

Thanks.

Depending on where you live it might be a bit easier. For example Im in Ottawa and a friend of mine wants to do pharmacy and instead of an over the counter position, found a pharmaceutical company to work for and made IV bags and things like that. She had no experience at all but just put herself out there. If you are not in a larger city then I would simply recommend sending out emails with an explanation of why you are looking to volunteer/possibly work in a pharmacy. Ive found that if you sound dedicated and professional, people will do their best to help you out. Good luck!!

Go and personally meet the managers at each Pharmacy. Let them know that you intent to apply to Pharmacy and would like to volunteer there. Take your resume with you, in case they need time to make the decision.

I'm sure one of them will take you in. I tried 3 different pharmacies and the 4th one was willing to have me as a volunteer. I now work at that place. :)

Archived