Premed 101 Forums

Full CaRMS stats now online

Full 2013 match stats was just posted

https://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_R1reports_13_e.shtml

Some random observations:

- prior year CMG grads had poor match results this year (35%), sharp deviation from the 50% range in other years - more important to be matched first time around in the future?

- 1 derm vacancy after 1st round, no plastics or ophtho vacancies after 1st round

- Toronto filled entirely after 1st round, still the most competitive location.

- large amount of internal med (15) spots unfilled at Saskatchewan

- laboratory and pathology specialities continue to be very unpopular, with 3 haematological pathology spots + 2 medical microbiology spots at Alberta unfilled even after 2nd round!

- 1 radiology spot at Manitoba unfilled after 2nd round. 2 ortho, 1 cardiac sx unfilled after 2nd round

- large number of surgery 1st choice applicants from Ontario (Mac, UT, UWO)

- IMG stats poor as usual, 146 current year IMG grad matched vs 192 current year IMG grad unmatched

- USMD stats: 23 matched current year USMD vs 10 unmatched current year USMD

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Full 2013 match stats was just posted

https://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_R1reports_13_e.shtml

Some random observations:

- prior year CMG grads had poor match results this year (35%), sharp deviation from the 50% range in other years - more important to be matched first time around in the future?

- 1 derm vacancy after 1st round, no plastics or ophtho vacancies after 1st round

- Toronto filled entirely after 1st round, still the most competitive location.

- large amount of internal med (15) spots unfilled at Saskatchewan

- laboratory and pathology specialities continue to be very unpopular, with 3 haematological pathology spots + 2 medical microbiology spots at Alberta unfilled even after 2nd round!

- 1 radiology spot at Manitoba unfilled after 2nd round. 2 ortho, 1 cardiac sx unfilled after 2nd round

- large number of surgery 1st choice applicants from Ontario (Mac, UT, UWO)

- IMG stats poor as usual, 146 current year IMG grad matched vs 192 current year IMG grad unmatched

- USMD stats: 23 matched current year USMD vs 10 unmatched current year USMD

thanks for the heads up! (starts up analysis......)

More observation:

- the average # of programs per applicant has risen from a low of 10.1 per applicant in 2006 to 13.6 per applicant this year. Same trend for IMG

- overall match % remain steady at 95%, % matched to 1st choice rank and % matched to 1st choice program remains comparable to previous years.

- the ratio of applicant : position remains steady at 1:1.09

I'm surprised at how few IMGs there really were, only 338 new graduates applying. I thought there were supposed to be like 3500 CSAs but based on these numbers it seems like there's more around 1300. Of course there are probably a good number of CSAs who don't apply to CaRMS.

I'm surprised at how few IMGs there really were, only 338 new graduates applying. I thought there were supposed to be like 3500 CSAs but based on these numbers it seems like there's more around 1300. Of course there are probably a good number of CSAs who don't apply to CaRMS.

Im quite surprised too.

Maybe more ppl deciding to try to stay in australia? And carribean students deciding not to apply at all to canada and stick with the us?

Just so that i understand this correctly... of all the applicants who put derm as their top choice, only one person was unsuccesful at matching into derm?

https://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2013R1_MatchResults/Table_32_En.pdf

No, that chart means that of all the people who put derm as their top choice, only one person was unsuccessful at matching into anything.

Just so that i understand this correctly... of all the applicants who put derm as their top choice, only one person was unsuccesful at matching into derm?

https://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2013R1_MatchResults/Table_32_En.pdf

unless I am reading this wrong -

Only one was unsuccessful in matching at ALL.

Most people applying to derm would have backed with something, probably non competitive. Those that didn't match into derm (their first choice) matched into whatever was that was instead, except for one.

Very interesting. you have to wonder whether the 3500 is real. Or maybe those people willing to study abroad also found a new life along the way? Or just staying for training, whether limited such as a UK/Aus internship or full accreditation in a field.

Very interesting. you have to wonder whether the 3500 is real. Or maybe those people willing to study abroad also found a new life along the way? Or just staying for training, whether limited such as a UK/Aus internship or full accreditation in a field.

Probably a combination of not wanting to come back to Canada + high attrition rates.

I'm surprised at how few IMGs there really were, only 338 new graduates applying.

I wonder how they define "applying". Do they mean anyone who registered for CaRMS, or do they mean anyone who submitted a rank order list?

(The second group is going to be small, since I'd imagine there are many CMGs who don't get interviews, and don't bother submitting rank order lists).

Probably a combination of not wanting to come back to Canada + high attrition rates.

That's a good point. Going back to the 2010 report, figure 21, class of 2013 and 2012 was overrepresented in the sample than class of 2010 and 2011 (noting the report was done in 2010), possibly reflecting attrition.

Also of interest in that report is figure 26, showing 80-95% of respondents don't have any clerkship rotations in Canada, which perhaps would discourage some to even compete in CaRMS at all as they may feel they have no chance at all and may opt for USA NRMP only.

I wonder how they define "applying". Do they mean anyone who registered for CaRMS, or do they mean anyone who submitted a rank order list?

(The second group is going to be small, since I'd imagine there are many CMGs who don't get interviews, and don't bother submitting rank order lists).

Many CMGs don't get interviews? :eek:

Edit: Just realized that you probably meant IMGs!

I just looked at that CaRMS report on CSAs.

They pretty loosely arrived at a total of 3500 Canadians studying abroad.

When you look down at their numbers, especially the "2000" people in the Caribbean it's easy to be pretty skeptical. Although, Caribbean schools are geared towards American training both the preclinical and clinical years. So many of them, may have just gone on to do residency there. Or they don't exist in such large numbers.

3500 Canadians Studying Abroad but only ~1000 filled out a survey from CaRMS. I know it's probably an email/online survey, but really, if you are spending 200000+ to do medicine abroad, and the only route to residency in Canada is through CaRMS, wouldn't you do the survey??

I did the survey. There's a very high chance that it's not representative at all, since it was done on a volunteer basis, and it wasn't advertised very well. I found out about it through a person, who found out from another person, who gave me a password to fill it out.

Yeah never trust the surveys. In Canada we often have extremely low rates of filling out those on our own problems and there is a lot of pressure to actually do it. Regardless - we just don't really care to.

Am I reading this right? 21 CMGs that applied to General Surgery didn't match to anything at all? Since when was general surgery so competitive, or is it that these people didn't apply smart? Probably a combination of both.

Didn't match to anything in the first round, at least - they might have matched to something in the second. Since there were only 20 people who picked General Surgery as their first choice who matched to an alternative discipline in the first round (that is, only 41 people who picked Gen Surg as a first choice did not get it), I'm guessing that it was simply people who didn't back up appropriately.

Am I reading this right? 21 CMGs that applied to General Surgery didn't match to anything at all? Since when was general surgery so competitive, or is it that these people didn't apply smart? Probably a combination of both.

I saw gen surg being more competitive in the next few years a long time ago, and I am promising you it won't change in the next years

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=718318&highlight=gen+surg+competitive#post718318

2013 competitiveness ranking based on the ratio of #1st choice discipline / #seats available

No Specialty Ratio

1 Plastic Surgery 1,85

2 Vascular Surgery 1,50

3 Dermatology 1,47

4 Emergency Medicine 1,46

5 Urology 1,39

6 ENT 1,37

7 General Surgery 1,35

8 Ophtalmology 1,33

9 Neurosurgery 1,29

10 Anesthesiology 1,27

11 ObGyn 1,26