Premed 101 Forums

1 year at 3.7+ guaranteed interview??

Hello everyone,

I know that if you have 2 years at 3.7+ (or whatever the cutoff is that year) then you pretty much automatically get an interview. Is this also true if you have only 1 year above 3.7 and are doing a 2nd "special" year after graduating? Would I automatically get an interview spot based on my one year at 3.7+?

Also, I read in another thread that only a 2-3 conditional applicants are given out I think. I was really surprised by this. Seems like the chances are really low if you only have one year above 3.7. Anyone know if this is true?

Thank you!

That is equally automatic - assuming off course the MCAT scores are in place and all the other standard rules apply etc.

You have to be careful looking at the conditional acceptance number - first of all they are a guess, so other could have gotten in that way and just never said. It could just be an underestimation. Next the conditional rule is not particularly well known - that is why it is a surprise to many, even on this board. Finally I suspect - but don't know the details - there is some logical disadvantage to conditional acceptance in the the scoring. Seems like a lot of them end up on the waitlist and then get in after etc. Overall there just aren't that many people applying under this rule though I would think (the MCAT is the usual barrier to apply to Western, not the GPA)

All of this is not really all that important though - if you have a chance you take it because the attempt a) may work and B) only make you better for future attempts. So you do it.

Hello everyone,

I know that if you have 2 years at 3.7+ (or whatever the cutoff is that year) then you pretty much automatically get an interview. Is this also true if you have only 1 year above 3.7 and are doing a 2nd "special" year after graduating? Would I automatically get an interview spot based on my one year at 3.7+?

Also, I read in another thread that only a 2-3 conditional applicants are given out I think. I was really surprised by this. Seems like the chances are really low if you only have one year above 3.7. Anyone know if this is true?

Thank you!

That's right like rmorelan said the interview is automatic as long as you meet all the requirements. I usually guestimate 2-4 conditional acceptances per year but that's bit of a shot in the dark, it's not something people in class talk about so pretty much the stats from this forum is what I based it on.

I think rmorelan makes a good point that this route is often overlooked by people. Also I think people don't know that the interview is closed, which means the interviewers probably have no idea if your interview was conditional.

That's right like rmorelan said the interview is automatic as long as you meet all the requirements. I usually guestimate 2-4 conditional acceptances per year but that's bit of a shot in the dark, it's not something people in class talk about so pretty much the stats from this forum is what I based it on.

I think rmorelan makes a good point that this route is often overlooked by people. Also I think people don't know that the interview is closed, which means the interviewers probably have no idea if your interview was conditional.

Yeah they are quite clear they don't know anything about you prior to you walking in the room. There cannot be a negative impression created as a result.

That is equally automatic - assuming off course the MCAT scores are in place and all the other standard rules apply etc.

If the offer for an interview is automatic,should the requirements be met, why are so few applicants interviewed in comparison to the very large number of applicants? I mean do that many people apply even without meeting the cutoffs?

some people apply who may be close to previously established cutoffs in the hope there is a difference in the current application cycle, some people apply without having mcat results back before app deadline, some just apply blindly etc. It's a combination of different situations, that and the cutoffs can change, although they generally remain fairly stable but you never know

If the offer for an interview is automatic,should the requirements be met, why are so few applicants interviewed in comparison to the very large number of applicants? I mean do that many people apply even without meeting the cutoffs?

I've met a number of applicants who are either misinformed or not informed at all about the admissions process. Sometimes they go on what they have heard from parents, friends, etc. and sometimes they willfully believe things (untrue) about the admissions process to make themselves feel better. Personally, I do not like wasting money, but it seems that is the fashionable thing to do among university students.

I've met a number of applicants who are either misinformed or not informed at all about the admissions process. Sometimes they go on what they have heard from parents, friends, etc. and sometimes they willfully believe things (untrue) about the admissions process to make themselves feel better. Personally, I do not like wasting money, but it seems that is the fashionable thing to do among university students.

obvious case of win here.

Yeah they are quite clear they don't know anything about you prior to you walking in the room. There cannot be a negative impression created as a result.

Do you think it's a good thing or a bad thing?

I remember watching the UWO med school interview video from 2 or 3 years ago (the one which parodied How I Met Your Mother) and even the students in it mentioned that you can falsify/make stuff up about yourself at the interview cause the interviewers won't know (or something along those lines).

Personally, I feel like it's a way for people who may be academically very strong, but lack in terms of ECs, volunteer, research, etc to game the system. Because if someone has to make stuff up about themselves and their experiences, what makes them any better than the people who get rejected for not meeting the cutoffs?

Of course, this is all hypothetical, but this is what I think.

I remember watching the UWO med school interview video from 2 or 3 years ago (the one which parodied How I Met Your Mother) and even the students in it mentioned that you can falsify/make stuff up about yourself at the interview cause the interviewers won't know (or something along those lines).

Personally, I feel like it's a way for people who may be academically very strong, but lack in terms of ECs, volunteer, research, etc to game the system. Because if someone has to make stuff up about themselves and their experiences, what makes them any better than the people who get rejected for not meeting the cutoffs?

I'm a horrible liar so maybe I am wrong about this, but I think you would have to be a pretty amazing liar to not have inconsistencies in your story. At the very least I think you would have trouble espousing what certain activities meant to you. It makes you wonder if someone like Paul Bernado (sociopath) would have been accepted.

You could argue the same thing about the MMI - nothing is checked there either. I would say there are reasons that system and Western's work without such verification. Some schools are not particularly interested in ECs.

You could argue the same thing about the MMI - nothing is checked there either. I would say there are reasons that system and Western's work without such verification. Some schools are not particularly interested in ECs.

what's western interesed in then ..? :confused:

I am suprised to find out there's a school not interested in ECs (my ECs are quite low, maybe I get some relief at Western :o:cool:

Archived