Premed 101 Forums

Is age of applicant a major factor?

Hello everyone.

I'm considering applying to NOSM, but have a question.

First a bit of background:

-I am a Francophone.

-I grew up and graduated from French high school in a small northern Ontario community (pop. 5800, 89% French, RIO score 95).

-Did a 3 year Bachelor of Science conc. Biology in Ottawa (GPA 3.51).

-Did a 4 year Doctor of Chiropractic degree in Toronto (not sure if I'd be allowed the 0.2 GPA bump, it is a 4 year, 4200+ hour program).

-Moved back to my home town and have been practicing here for 15 years (my clinic is in the Family Health Team building with 6 M.D.'s and various other health care services).

-I have extensive experience with Francophone and Aboriginal patients.

-I perform pre-employment physical examinations for the 3 major wood industry mills in town.

-Volunteer work: I teach karate twice a week and judge in the annual karate tournament, I volunteer for various town activities, I do presentations on lifting technique, ergonomics, etc... to various organizations (School Board, Ministry of Natural Resources, saw mills, etc...).

-I would be coming back here to practice medicine (very deep roots here, my parents live here, I own a house here).

.....BUT.....

I'm 41 years old.

I was wondering if any of you know if my application would receive less consideration due to my age.

Thanks in advance for any information/input, and good luck to all!!!

Hello everyone.

I'm considering applying to NOSM, but have a question.

First a bit of background:

-I am a Francophone.

-I grew up and graduated from French high school in a small northern Ontario community (pop. 5800, 89% French, RIO score 95).

-Did a 3 year Bachelor of Science conc. Biology in Ottawa (GPA 3.51).

-Did a 4 year Doctor of Chiropractic degree in Toronto (not sure if I'd be allowed the 0.2 GPA bump, it is a 4 year, 4200+ hour program).

-Moved back to my home town and have been practicing here for 15 years (my clinic is in the Family Health Team building with 6 M.D.'s and various other health care services).

-I have extensive experience with Francophone and Aboriginal patients.

-I perform pre-employment physical examinations for the 3 major wood industry mills in town.

-Volunteer work: I teach karate twice a week and judge in the annual karate tournament, I volunteer for various town activities, I do presentations on lifting technique, ergonomics, etc... to various organizations (School Board, Ministry of Natural Resources, saw mills, etc...).

-I would be coming back here to practice medicine (very deep roots here, my parents live here, I own a house here).

.....BUT.....

I'm 41 years old.

I was wondering if any of you know if my application would receive less consideration due to my age.

Thanks in advance for any information/input, and good luck to all!!!

I don't think legally they are allowed to take your age in consideration. Beyond that a professional degree is not a graduate degree so you would not get the 0.2 bump in GPA ( it is a second undergrad like an MD).

It can never hurt to apply.

If anything, I'd say your age helps your application rather than weaken it. Being 25 or older (26, 35, 41, 107... who cares?) gives you an extra essay question to answer (mature applicant stream) which I'm sure you could knock out of the park with all your clinical experience and volunteer work. Good luck!

Archived