Premed 101 Forums

What would YOU do IF

CEE_

YOU WERE IN MY SITUATION

I am early 30s, hold an MBA and 10 years of experience and now preparing for med school in Alberta as a Non Traditional candidate.

Aiming for Calgary or Alberta Med school but also open to all other Canadian Universities.

I have been admitted to Bio programs for both UAlberta and Leathbridge.

I need guidance on what criterion to use for deciding between the 2 schools; to up my chances for the above stated goal.

Any suggestions, criticism or experience sharing are highly appreciated. :confused:

I don't know enough about you to make a judgement but age, financial situation and family life should definitely be considered. At what age will you start practicing? 40 is not bad but kinda on the high end. Then again 10 years above traditional applicants is nothing if that's what it takes to realize what one really wants to do in life.

Are you doing an undergrad again? Personally, I would never even think of going to U of A for an undergrad degree. Hearing from friends and reviews it doesn't have a great reputation for undergrad stuff. For the size of U of L it was rated 3rd in Canada for overall institutions. For me, an easy choice.

YOU WERE IN MY SITUATION

I am early 30s, hold an MBA and 10 years of experience and now preparing for med school in Alberta as a Non Traditional candidate.

Aiming for Calgary or Alberta Med school but also open to all other Canadian Universities.

I need guidance on what criterion to use for deciding between the 2 schools; to up my chances for the above stated goal.

Any suggestions, criticism or experience sharing are highly appreciated. :confused:

I will assume with your background that you have determined that attempting medical school is the right course for you - obviously you have the ability to do the math etc.

First I should ask - your current degrees etc are not up to the task in your opinion to get into medical school? Most schools are degree blind - so unless you are trying to increase your GPA etc my first question is why are taking more schooling? We would need a break down of all prior schooling by year with respect to course load and GPA to suggest the full range of options currently for you.

I will assume with your background that you have determined that attempting medical school is the right course for you - obviously you have the ability to do the math etc.

First I should ask - your current degrees etc are not up to the task in your opinion to get into medical school? Most schools are degree blind - so unless you are trying to increase your GPA etc my first question is why are taking more schooling? We would need a break down of all prior schooling by year with respect to course load and GPA to suggest the full range of options currently for you.

Don't many schools have a GPA expiry policy? If he's got 10 years of work experience, he potentially couldn't use his first degree even if he had stellar grades.

Sorry if I'm wrong though.

Don't many schools have a GPA expiry policy? If he's got 10 years of work experience, he potentially couldn't use his first degree even if he had stellar grades.

Sorry if I'm wrong though.

I read something like that too somewhere except it's just out of date for his courses that he's taken.

Not really his GPA "expiring"

YOU WERE IN MY SITUATION

If I were in your situation. I would keep doing my current job (business). If I feel anxious to change to a more fast paced field, I'd break into finance. Every person is different but at 30 I would try to settle down w/ spouse and start thinking about kids.

Archived