Premed 101 Forums

My MCAT Experience and Advice

Silver Charm

Having recently taken the MCAT, I would like to offer some thoughts and advice regarding my test experience. Note: Take this piece for what it's worth and understand that this is just my opinion.

1) The MCAT isn’t as intimidating as you think. I found the vast majority of the test to be straight forward. There were some difficult looking passages but if you can see through the irrelevant advanced material and wording, you will see what they are asking is actually quite simple. Trust that only basic concepts will be tested. I’m quite sure that these types of passages psych out a lot of people.

2) Time was not much of a factor. Some people will question this statement but I believe if you use your time appropriately, there will be 5+ minutes remaining on each section. The key is to not get hung up on any specific passage/question. Just like they say in many sports; keep your feet moving. Regarding verbal specifically, I am not a fast reader but still finished with time remaining.

3) Continuing on with verbal…. The passages are not longer than the AAMC practice tests. The font is bigger which makes it seem longer. There may be one or two longer passages, but it will even out. There may be some passages split up into numerous (more than usual) paragraphs.

4) There will be distractions. In my specific testing center, there were people constantly walking in and out, sitting down and getting up, coughing, etc… Be prepared and don’t get flustered. Just roll with it.

5) Maintain your composure. I witnessed a couple different individuals who were extraordinarily nervous and wound up. Yes, this test could be worth a lot, but it's still just a test. The sun will rise tomorrow and you will eventually move on whether you ace it or falter. When you come across a tough passage, remember that everyone has the same passage. This test will try to deceive you. If you studied the appropriate material, you can get the answer. Don’t ever forget that.

6) Have confidence, but be realistic. If you put in the time, you will have covered everything you need to know. Choose your answers with confidence but realize that this won’t be a second year biology exam. You will struggle with many questions but so will everyone else.

7) Leave no doubt. Go into the exam knowing that you could not have done a single thing more. You did everything in your power to score well. Don’t let yourself down by slacking in your preparation. There will always be uncertainty but that’s completely normal. Be more prepared than your peers and walk out of that exam room with no regrets.

8) Embrace the opportunity. A lot of people in similar positions like to complain about how hard done by they are, but keep in mind that not many people even have an opportunity like this. No matter how you got here, you made it to this point. Walk into your exam with a big smile on your face realizing how special this moment is. Anyone who tells you otherwise just needs to take a look around.

Good advice, my experience has also been similar.

For myself timing was a bit of an issue on the real thing. I finished PS with 30 seconds to spare, VR with 5 seconds, and BS with 4 minutes. One the practice tests I always had 5+ minutes for PS and BS, and 2+ for VR. Reading off the low resolution displays at the MCAT testing probably slowed me down (lots of scrolling in VR), as I didn't practice according to these conditions.

Just another tip, a good friend of mine was doing VR and he quickly adjusted the monitor while he was reading the passage (thin LCD display that was on a swivel), and as he did so the VGA cable in the back was apparently loose and the display turned off.

He freaked out, but realized a good 5 seconds later what had happened but that definitely threw him off :eek:

My testing centre had ear protection at each station, pretty much industrial grade earmuffs. They worked perfectly. It was so quiet I could hear my pulse. Perfect for testing.

The AAMC guide indicates that there should be something of the sort available at any test centre. If they aren't at your station, request them. They certainly made the test experience calmer, given that the ventilation system in that building was annoyingly loud.

Thanks for the advice Silver Charm.

Can you guys recall what kind of resolution the testing screens were at? I would really like to try at least one practice test with those settings. Also, what size were your screens approximately?

I'm pretty sure they were 1024x768 at my testing center

My testing centre had ear protection at each station, pretty much industrial grade earmuffs. They worked perfectly. It was so quiet I could hear my pulse. Perfect for testing.

The AAMC guide indicates that there should be something of the sort available at any test centre. If they aren't at your station, request them. They certainly made the test experience calmer, given that the ventilation system in that building was annoyingly loud.

I forgot to mention this. Every station had these. If mouse clicking or other small noises bother you, definitely wear these.

Not sure about the screen resolution but it wasn't a big deal. The font is bigger for everything but it shouldn't cause you to change anything. 1024x768 looks about right.

Format was also almost identical to the AAMC practice tests.

Are these ear protections at every testing center? I thought we had to buy our own earmuffs. Should I call to check?

1024x768 looks awful on my large screen but hopefully for monitors with that native resolution and aspect ratio it will appear better.

Are these ear protections at every testing center? I thought we had to buy our own earmuffs. Should I call to check?

1024x768 looks awful on my large screen but hopefully for monitors with that native resolution and aspect ratio it will appear better.

They provide ear muffs not ear plugs.

And the aspect ratio really doesn't matter as its only text and very poor diagrams hahaha just like the practice tests

Just a warning, if you're going to be wearing those ear muffs. They are great at drowning out noises but absolutely get some sleep the night before. They make the room too silent haha. Not that I dozed off at one point writing the exam or anything. :rolleyes:

Another thing about the ear muffs - they are effective in draining out noise, but I found after a couple of hours of wearing them I started to get a headache. That's the last thing you need when you're already going through the stress of test day! I had to take them off for the BS section, and I think conventional ear plugs would be better (industrial ones are best if you can get your hands on those.) I was kicking myself for not bringing them.

When I write the MCAT, DriveTest was on strike in Ontario and I couldn't renew my drivers license. So when I presented my official government ID (expired drivers license) with the print out from the DriveTest website saying it's valid, the testing centre told me they couldn't accept the documentation unless it specifically had my name on it, and that they had turned away an applicant previously for the same reason already. Luckily, I was able to use my health card which had my picture on it.

Moral of the story: bring non-expired ID, doesn't matter if there is a valid reason for its expiry

I have a bit of unusual advice for writing the VR...

I wrote the MCAT for the second time 2 weeks ago, I only wrote the VR section last year because I only applied to Mac. I ended up getting 11 on the VR last year which I was disappointed in because I considered myself a gifted reader (I read Plato's Republic at 13, for fun!) so I was hoping for at least a 13, especially because I wanted to compensate for my less than stellar GPA - clearly was way in over my head. The timing was just way too tight for me and I literally finished with 0 seconds to spare. So a few months after I read online about a guy who scored 14 and he was explaining that his strategy was to skip reading one passage entirely and just guess all the answers for it. That way, he got more time to focus on all the other passages and work on them longer. I thought it sounded insane and its a huge gamble obviously so I forgot about it and moved on.

So this time around when I got to the VR, for some reason I couldnt focus on one particular passage. I don't know if it was the subject matter or my nerves but I seriously panicked and realized I was running out of time. So I suddenly remembered that guy's advice and made the last minute choice to just guess everything on that part and move on to the next passages. After that I was really able to concentrate on the passages and had enough time to double check all my answers. I know VR is kind of a crapshoot but i actually feel much more confident this year about my VR results than last year...

I realize I should wait for the results to come out to see if this actually worked for me but if i score higher than 12 (fingers crossed), I think this could be a helpful strategy for the VR for some people even though its a risk....

• 2 weeks later...
They provide ear muffs not ear plugs.

And the aspect ratio really doesn't matter as its only text and very poor diagrams hahaha just like the practice tests

Do they allow us to bring ear plugs?

I was planning to bring those cheap ear yellow ear plugs you can get at the dollar store (ALOT more comfortable than industrial sized ones).

Archived