Premed 101 Forums

Burnout

3rd year just finished and I feel like I have nothing left in me. I got through clerkship with good evaluations and passed all my exams, but I feel lost and exhausted and sad. Electives and CARMS start now and I dont know what to do with myself. My personal life feels like it's empty. I don't even feel like I care about school or my career anymore, but I know I really do. I guess I don't really have a question. Does anybody else feel like this and what did you do to overcome it? I exercise regularly and stuff but that doesn't really make it better.

Time heals most things. Clerkship is a run through the gauntlet and an exhausting year. I also just finished and was feeling pretty burnt out after my CTU rotation. After a couple easier electives I pretty much bounced back. Do your best to line up your electives in areas that you are interested in and hopefully the fire will return after a few rotations. You've done psych now and have some understanding of depression. If you feel like this isn't improving with time don't be afraid to see a physician about it.

Third year sucks, it is one of the worst years. First year of residency is another year that sucks.

I bet many people feel burnt out. I know I sure did.

Dedicating a portion of your time to doing something non-medicine related is really good advice. I certainly made this a regular habit of mine. If you are feeling burnt out then you are getting limited return on the time you put into work. So taking that time out for yourself is as important as any studying or any other work related activities you do.

I found third-year rotations to be very tough as well. Once 4th year started, it was 100 times better since 4th year rotations are often much easier (in my opinion). You still have some time till CARMS and the LMCC, you'll see, you'll feel more energized in a couple of months:)

Also, I would suggest going somewhere warm and sunny this christmas, it makes a huge difference during CARMS in terms of energy.

And one last thing, I learnt that 99% of what you're feeling as a med student, other med students are feeling as well, so for sure you're not alone in this.

Third year sucks, it is one of the worst years. First year of residency is another year that sucks.

I bet many people feel burnt out. I know I sure did.

Dedicating a portion of your time to doing something non-medicine related is really good advice. I certainly made this a regular habit of mine. If you are feeling burnt out then you are getting limited return on the time you put into work. So taking that time out for yourself is as important as any studying or any other work related activities you do.

Ha - yeah just to agree - a lot of people suffer through burnout in year 3, and it seems first year of residency. I was pretty worn down by the end of clerkship myself - it was a very busy year.

• 2 weeks later...
How is PGY-1?

Similar to being a CC3 but with some more responsibility. In most programs you are off service a lot. So you are doing a lot of stuff you might not enjoy. You are also changing routines frequently, often starting new services or switching locations. Depending on the service you are on and your home residency program you can have a lot of call. Sometimes other services don't show much interest in off service residents as well. This can result in your scut load being high. At the end of the day PGY1 is all about getting the experience you need to pass the MCCQE part II...

One big difference is that as a PGY1 resident you actually know some medicine and are a MD. You can sign your own orders and do more stuff and be useful. You don't know anything as a CC3. So that makes PGY1 somewhat better than being a CC3. Another non-trivial plus is that as a PGY1 you get paid. Plus you get a stipend for being on call. It is nice when you actually stop going into debt.

Life gets way better when you are done PGY1 and actually doing more of your own specialty. You tend to know everyone and they know you, the environment is familiar, you find it more interesting as you are actually doing what you signed up for.

Unfortunately, both CC3 and PGY1 years are times where you just gotta tough it out. Burn out rates are probably highest during those two unfortunate years.

How is PGY-1?

So far so good! Like clerkship again you are bounced around a lot and you have to get up to speed quickly on rotations. There is also I think for me at least an amount of fear introduced - I make decisions now that have real impacts on patient's care, on rotations I know very little about, when I am quite tired on call, without any real backup etc- that didn't exist on clerkship of course. You obviously don't want to make a mistake. There is more call than clerkship I find, and the rotations are for me at least a bit harder as well (it is like clerkship without any of the easy/light rotations).

It also can be more fun as well - you know more, you are actually correct quite often. You have your own patients to manage and some of the annoyances of clerkship are removed (I can sign my own orders instead of chasing down someone is just a small example of many). I actually have more time off by far as a resident than a clerk does, and there is little need to impress everyone for the sake of impressing them (If I do something or learn something in first year people know I did it for personal or professional reasons - I don't need a LOR from you, I am not trying to get into your specialty etc).

I guess it only gets better, with increased responsibility. :)

You certainly will be with your own kind at some point in second year (a few fields have longer off service periods). Every field is a bit different though - because I am in rads I don't really start my full training in that until second year (I am completely off service in year one so that doesn't really help me that much. Other fields off service more directly applies) So the first 1/2 of second year is getting ready for call followed by starting call etc - arguably in radiology the most stressful time outside of final exams. Once you have call down pat then you are probably in better shape, likely takes most of second year before you feel a bit more comfortable.

and there is little need to impress everyone for the sake of impressing them (If I do something or learn something in first year people know I did it for personal or professional reasons - I don't need a LOR from your, I am not trying to get into your specialty etc).

This was the most exhausting part of 3rd year. Having to constantly be super happy and fake is really tiring. I'm normally fairly fun to be around but everyone ramps up the happiness to unhappy levels in order to look good. Everyone has a bad day here and there but you can't afford to have one during clerkship.

This was the most exhausting part of 3rd year. Having to constantly be super happy and fake is really tiring. I'm normally fairly fun to be around but everyone ramps up the happiness to unhappy levels in order to look good. Everyone has a bad day here and there but you can't afford to have one during clerkship.

and you know what - people see right through it. I mean they were there a few years ago, they know what you are doing. I don't really think you do yourself that much being so "happy" it is silly on things that obviously are not fun.

This sounds ominous. You're expected to be ridiculously cheerful all day in clerkship? O.o"

I think it's an exaggeration, just be pleasant and don't display signs of disdain for work or people you work with (e.g. rolling your eyes when someone asks you to go see a patient or something).

If you work with a miserable preceptor who wants to get you into trouble, they'll find SOMETHING, no matter how hard you try. People in my class have gotten reprimands about being "too cheerful" or "too eager."

Just don't be a tool and hope for the best.

I think it's an exaggeration, just be pleasant and don't display signs of disdain for work or people you work with (e.g. rolling your eyes when someone asks you to go see a patient or something).

If you work with a miserable preceptor who wants to get you into trouble, they'll find SOMETHING, no matter how hard you try. People in my class have gotten reprimands about being "too cheerful" or "too eager."

Just don't be a tool and hope for the best.

punished for being TOO happy. That is a new one :)

and yeah the big no no is every directly or indirectly putting down a service you are on or well any service really. I don't care if it is psych and you are a plastic surgery gunner. Part of being professional is not complaining or slacking off in what is an normal part of your training - ie something you knew was coming when you agreed to go into medicine.

punished for being TOO happy. That is a new one :)

and yeah the big no no is every directly or indirectly putting down a service you are on or well any service really. I don't care if it is psych and you are a plastic surgery gunner. Part of being professional is not complaining or slacking off in what is an normal part of your training - ie something you knew was coming when you agreed to go into medicine.

Sometimes that's harder than it seems when you've been awake for 24 hours. At least for me. :(

I guess you just have to power on and hope the light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train :P

Archived