Premed 101 Forums

Extra courses in GPA Calculation

Ok i have taken 10 courses in year 1, 10 courses in year 2 and i plan on taking 10 courses going into third year. However, i have also taken a summer course after first year so ill have an extra course taken by the time im done 4th year.

i also know NOSM only looks at courses that are part of the degree but how will they determine which courses were part of the degree and which weren't? will they just remove the lowest elective course or do we have to let them know?

does anyone have any experience with this?

Any course that you took before completing your undergraduate degree (pre-convocation) will be included in the GPA calculation for NOSM. I have a summer course between my 3rd and 4th years that has always been included in my NOSM application.

That being said, I'm now taking a psych course to fill prereqs for nursing and physiotherapy applications this year. That course will not be used in my NOSM application as it is not part of my degree.

NOSM will know which courses were taken during your degree because of how you report GPA on OMSAS. Just enter in your courses and grades into your OMSAS app, and it will all work out. Don't worry :)

Hope that helps :)

Any course that you took before completing your undergraduate degree (pre-convocation) will be included in the GPA calculation for NOSM. I have a summer course between my 3rd and 4th years that has always been included in my NOSM application.

That being said, I'm now taking a psych course to fill prereqs for nursing and physiotherapy applications this year. That course will not be used in my NOSM application as is not part of my degree.

Hope that helps :)

dont you enter all grades anyway and then NOSM will distinguish between degree and non-degree courses?

what if someone switches degrees halfway through their first degree and subsequently does 5+ years of undergrad to finish the new degree. would all 5+ years count for NOSM even if like 20 of the courses werent part of the degree?

edit: ok i read your edit. i was wondering specifically in my case since i got a D+ in a course in first year then switched majors so that course could potentially be an extra course that wouldnt count for my degree. so i cant escape that D+?

yes i switched majors after 1st year and stayed at the same school

Okay, I can't definitively say how NOSM will calculate your GPA given these parameters. My guess is that all of the courses you took since starting university will be included in the GPA calculation. I switched in and out of a minor during my undergrad, and courses I took that did not count towards my major were still included in the GPA calculation (to my knowledge).

However, I am not a NOSM representative. I would recommend you email NOSM admissions to get a more official answer for this question: admissions@nosm.ca

Good luck, pal!

Okay, I can't definitively say how NOSM will calculate your GPA given these parameters. My guess is that all of the courses you took since starting university will be included in the GPA calculation. I switched in and out of a statistics minor during my undergrad, and courses I took that did not count towards my HK degree (major) were still included in the GPA calculation (to my knowledge).

However, I am not a NOSM representative. I would recommend you email NOSM admissions to get a more official answer for this question: admissions@nosm.ca

Good luck, pal!

thanks bud. im actually just going into third year so i cant apply to NOSM this year but best of luck to you this cycle.

Archived