Premed 101 Forums

Only VR matters?

So, If you plan on applying to McMaster only and you took the MCAT, is it ok to focus your effort almost entirely on your VR, do they know what you got for physical and biological or do they really only see the VR score? Lets say you got 13 VR/10/10 would that make a difference compared to 13 VR/5/4?

Technically they only look at your VR score, so if you want to focus on that it's ok (i.e., I don't believe there is a difference between those two scores). However, not trying as hard for the other sections is a bit silly because it will prevent you from even applying to any other school. There are other factors McMaster looks at, like the CASPER test.

Is alpaca trolling? There's a full file review stage isn't there?

As far as I'm aware MCmaster only considers Verbal, they dont care about the other sections

The Undergraduate Medical Program is not considering implementation of any other portions of the MCAT. The Writing Sample, Biological Sciences, and Physical Sciences portions do not provide the same long-term predictive validity of critical medical activities generated by the Verbal Reasoning portion. Further, implementation of these other portions would tend to limit, rather than enhance, expectations of diversity in academic background

You have the option of not writing a section, I imagine they give this a 0 so it wouldn't skew the curve for people writing all sections.

I always thought people only writing verbal were helping other kids get higher scores in the sciences...i didnt even realize 0 was an option to not scew the curve...those selfish monsters

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
just to re-iterate, you absolutely do not need to write the other sections.

You don't; McMaster sticks very strictly to its rule that only the VR counts. But note that you only need a 9,9 in the science sections to be considered at U of T, so why not at least try and also make U of T's cutoffs that aren't that high anyways so as to give yourself a bit more bang for your bucks and a second shot at getting into med school?

Archived