Premed 101 Forums

Transfers between canadian medical schools

I was wondering if anyone has had prior experience in transferring medical schools and the policies behind that. Also, I was wondering what kinds of reasons are considered suitable to make a transfer.

This is going to be university specific, so here's a quick list for English schools:

Do Not Accept Transfer Students:

University of Calgary

University of Alberta

Queen's University

McMaster University

University of Toronto

Accepts Transfer Students:

University of Manitoba*

Memorial University*

University of Western Ontario*

University of Ottawa**

*Only if space is available

**Exceptional circumstances

Unknown:

University of British Columbia

University of Saskatchewan

Laurentian University (NOSM)

Dalhousie University

McGill University

I did this quickly so I apologize for any errors (I will edit accordingly). Hope it helps!

P.S. If you e-mail one of the schools I'm not sure about or if you already know, please let me know and I'll add in that information.

It is extremely rare. In my time at Western it didn't happy once, and no one could remember a time when it had.

There just isn't a lot of good reasons for allowing it I guess. You can get leaves of absence for short term things (I mean an entire year if you call that short) and there isn't much that wouldn't be covered in that. The argument you have to go and help look after someone elsewhere sounds compelling but with our schedules so busy how much could you really help out and remain in the programs?

It is extremely rare. In my time at Western it didn't happy once, and no one could remember a time when it had.

There just isn't a lot of good reasons for allowing it I guess. You can get leaves of absence for short term things (I mean an entire year if you call that short) and there isn't much that wouldn't be covered in that. The argument you have to go and help look after someone elsewhere sounds compelling but with our schedules so busy how much could you really help out and remain in the programs?

I get the impression from Western's website that they don't have a problem with transfers, per say, but that you need to meet a lot of criteria (i.e. space availability, similar curriculum, etc).

Does Schulich Medicine accept transfer students?

Transfer consideration is restricted to Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada currently enrolled in a Canadian medical school and only when space is available in our program. Applicants who would like to request a transfer must send a letter to the office of Learner Equity & Wellness outlining the reason for requesting a transfer. The letter must include your current mailing address, email address, phone number, and date of birth. You must also submit your transcripts, an outline of your curriculum/program, and a letter from your Dean stating that you are a student in good standing.

In any case, the odds probably aren't in your favour..

I get the impression from Western's website that they don't have a problem with transfers, per say, but that you need to meet a lot of criteria (i.e. space availability, similar curriculum, etc).

In any case, the odds probably aren't in your favour..

Sure - the space thing though is a killer. That means someone else had to have dropped out somehow etc (even if is a apparent opening to the program because someone is off for a year and you are sliding in their place ultimately there is still one less spot as the following year as now they will be one over maximum capacity for the number of students the school gets funding for year etc). It is just a bit tricky.

Archived