Premed 101 Forums

Transferring to Nursing

Anfield

I'm in first year university right now. I'm thinking about possibly transferring to nursing after this year. Got a few concerns/questions, and would appreciate some help :)

1) I originally applied for McMaster's nursing and got in. I contacted them, and I was told that they would look at my university grades only; they need mid to high 80 university average; and they only take 10 people. Is this actually true? I've heard that the GPA needed is mostly around 9, but mid to high 80s?!!

2) On the other hand, I contacted Ryerson, and their admission reqs for transfer students seem to be more lenient. They would actually include my high school average in the process which is good since my average was good. I understand that Ryerson has a strong nursing program, but do employers (hospitals, clinics) look at where you did your nursing degree? Would they prefer someone who graduated from X school over Y school because X school is more science-oriented? I've heard that all they care about is the final exam that you do after you graduate.

3) Though more males are getting into nursing, are they currently being discriminated against in the hiring process since nursing has been traditionally dominated by females?

• 1 month later...

Archived