Premed 101 Forums

Second degree questions

Hello! I was born and raised in two tiny little bush towns in north western Ontario and did my first undergrad in Thunder Bay so I think my context score will be fine. My first undergrad was mediocre though and I want to do a second undergrad to get into NOSM. My first degree was just a three year degree not an honours. I plan to do an honours degree in bio for my second degree. If I apply before I'm 25 (still not a mature student) will my first degree even be looked at?

NOSM uses degree GPA. So if you apply before qualifying for mature student status, you need a 4 year degree. You would need to be either entering the final year of your second degree or have it completed in the year that you apply for that GPA to be used. So for example, if mature student and you have a 4 yr and a 3 yr degree, GPA calculated for both degrees, and the best one will be used. If not a mature student, you would need a 4 yr degree.

NOSM uses degree GPA. So if you apply before qualifying for mature student status, you need a 4 year degree. You would need to be either entering the final year of your second degree or have it completed in the year that you apply for that GPA to be used. So for example, if mature student and you have a 4 yr and a 3 yr degree, GPA calculated for both degrees, and the best one will be used. If not a mature student, you would need a 4 yr degree.

Yeah see that's what I am confused about. When I apply I will have completed a four year and a three year degree but I won't be a mature student yet. On their website it says if you are not a mature student and have two 4 year degrees the best is used and if you are a mature student and you have a 4 year and a 3 year or two 3 year degrees the best one is used. But if you aren't a mature student and have one of each do they just automatically look at the 4 year degree and disregard the 3 year one or do they just use the cGPA of both:S Im hoping I won't have to wait 2 years after im done to be a "mature student" to escape my first degree marks:P

I'll probably just email the school as I think my question is confusing.

If you apply before 25 they will only look at your 4 year degree (as was mentioned above you need to be in your final year of that degree at the time of application, it needs to be finished before you start school).

If you apply after 25 they will calculate your GPA from both degrees and pick the best one.

hey! Just an update for anyone else in my situation. I emailed the school directly and they said that my 3 year degree would not be looked at:

"Given the information you have provided in your email, your three year degree would not be considered, we would only use your four year degree for a GPA calculation for admission consideration."

WOOOOOO:D

Hey lizosaurusrex, I'm in a very similar predicament to you. Finished a 3 year degree with mediocre grades, and entering into a subsequent 4 year honours degree. I've been in contact with NOSM a number times in regards to their second degree policies, if you have any more questions PM me! Good luck.

Going into a second degree is a big venture and one should not go into it blindly. I am sure you have done some reflection but you should think about the following:

1) Why did I not do well in my first degree? Will these factors be repeated in this degree once I start and the romantic idea of going back to school are over?

2) Can I achieve a GPA of 3.8+ in this second degree, realistically?

2) What happens if I never get into Medical school? does this degree do anything for me for my back up plan?

Not asking for any answers but to reflect upon them seriously. You may want to check out the non-traditional sub-forums for some discussion on second degrees.

I am actually one of those people who had 2 undergrad degrees (and a grad degree) before getting into NOSM so it is possible though I didnt do those 2nd and 3rd degrees exclusively for medical school .... more for my back up plan and career progression in the back up plan.

Best of luck.

Beef

Thanks for the good lucks everyone!

Beef, thanks for taking the time to give me some advice:) Are you at the Thunder Bay or Sudbury campus?

I've definitely been thinking about this seriously for about a year. My first two years of university were BAD. I had no direction and switched my major back and forth like 3 times. Last year I got a 3.8 GPA and this year i'm sitting at 90s in all of my classes. I'm taking sciences this year which I find is much more my learning style, and something I am far more interested in than the humanities I was taking before which might have been some of the problem. Do I know for sure I can hold a 3.85+ GPA for the next 3 years? No. I know i'm capable of it but life happens sometimes and I know its not realistic to say for certain I can do this.

I am going to try my best though:)

I realize taking a second undergrad is not the best way to try and get into med. It's probably a really bad way actually. But my GPA is sitting at like 3.2 right now and it's probably my best bet. I really do want this though and I'm young and I want to try.

I am at the Sudbury campus.

Glad you have considered the hard questions and are entering a second degree with your eyes wide open. Work hard.

Beef

Thanks for the good lucks everyone!

Beef, thanks for taking the time to give me some advice:) Are you at the Thunder Bay or Sudbury campus?

I've definitely been thinking about this seriously for about a year. My first two years of university were BAD. I had no direction and switched my major back and forth like 3 times. Last year I got a 3.8 GPA and this year i'm sitting at 90s in all of my classes. I'm taking sciences this year which I find is much more my learning style, and something I am far more interested in than the humanities I was taking before which might have been some of the problem. Do I know for sure I can hold a 3.85+ GPA for the next 3 years? No. I know i'm capable of it but life happens sometimes and I know its not realistic to say for certain I can do this.

I am going to try my best though:)

I realize taking a second undergrad is not the best way to try and get into med. It's probably a really bad way actually. But my GPA is sitting at like 3.2 right now and it's probably my best bet. I really do want this though and I'm young and I want to try.

Archived