Premed 101 Forums

CARMS cost

Kind of a meaningless question (I'm not saying this in an insulting way)

Travel costs (flight/train/car) + Accommodations (hotel vs. friends vs. family) + Number of interviews are variable between individuals. Not to mention it depends how your interviews are grouped - are you forced to fly from one end of the country to the next because you applied to different specialities and you can't get dates aligned? etc etc etc.

I can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but the base CaRMS application itself was almost $400 (and I also can't remember how many programs it included), plus $38 for each additional program you choose to apply to.

I think it's a bit too early for you to worry about costs. Face it, your final year is going to be expensive. Focus on doing well now and getting ready for your applications next fall.

EM was very competitive in my year, so most applicants applied and attended every single interview. I've heard people spent around $8000-10,000 on the EM tour.

Sounds about right for most people applying to competitive specialties.

Between CaRMS, electives and potentially relocating anywhere in the country 4th year is very expensive.

Don't expect it to improve either. Schools/programs don't care if you waste tons of money even though a few simple changes could drastically reduce costs for many applicants. Literally the smallest amount of work on their part is too much.

/except Urology. They are the notable exception. Lucky bastards with their one single interview day for all programs.

You can't put a price on matching. You can put a price on not matching - potentially millions of dollars of lost future income and what you've paid for med school.

If you are not confident in matching or applied to competitive stuff, your better spending a lot on travel etc and going to your interviews then risking not matching.

There are too many variables to give a proper answer. Go to expedia and calculate it roughly yourself. Not that hard.

Other than Air Canada, Westjet, and Porter, I don't know how many choices there are with respect to airlines that service the major Canadian cities. On the bright side, it's not high season for travel.

Within Ontario/Quebec, also check into train and bus options - cheaper and often faster than flying.

Other than Air Canada, Westjet, and Porter, I don't know how many choices there are with respect to airlines that service the major Canadian cities. On the bright side, it's not high season for travel.

Within Ontario/Quebec, also check into train and bus options - cheaper and often faster than flying.

never found much of a difference in the airlines for carms now that that discount we used to get through CFMS went way.

Definitely made use of trains and buses within Ontario.

How much does the CARMS process typically cost (including application fees, flights, accommodations, food, etc) for someone applying broadly to IM/EM/FM?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried looking for it but can't find any threads.

I do think this is a legit question for no other reason than simple planning. I will add that many buy new clothes for it as well, and a really good suit etc is not cheap either. My coast to coast trip cost about 5K including everything.

How are you all traveling for interviews in different provinces if I may ask...any airlines that offer the cheapest rates?

Also, does anyone know the cheapest way to get from McMaster University to Univ of Toronto? I have an interview booked back to back and didnt realize how far those two are.

its a 45 minute drive. u can train or bus. very easier to get between the cities.

How are you all traveling for interviews in different provinces if I may ask...any airlines that offer the cheapest rates?

Also, does anyone know the cheapest way to get from McMaster University to Univ of Toronto? I have an interview booked back to back and didnt realize how far those two are.

Quite easy. About 45 drive time. Or GO bus runs from Hamilton to downtown Toronto (Union Station) regularly. Catch it from McMaster or from the downtown Hamilton GO centre. Cost is ~ $10 and leaves every ~ 20 min from the downtown station on weekdays.

I spent about $1000 for CaRMS, but I only had one away interview.

I don't think that's very typical of most candidates, but I was cheap - and regret it (even though I got my first choice program); I definitely had sleepless nights freaking out about unmatching!

I spent about $1000 for CaRMS, but I only had one away interview.

I don't think that's very typical of most candidates, but I was cheap - and regret it (even though I got my first choice program); I definitely had sleepless nights freaking out about unmatching!

ha - I have seen that approach before and I have to say that does sound incredibly stressful :)

Archived