Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

Thanks to everyone at UofT for making the day so great. The video was awesome too. The experience made me really want to go to your school!

Also the reference to the CanMed roles post on the interview advice discussion here had me laughing sooo hard.

I agree! Actually really enjoyed today, and thanks to all the volunteers who made us feel so at ease :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a solid bunch of peeps!

All the first year med students whom you met today or will meet tomorrow have an exam on Monday! That's how much they care that you guys feel welcome and safe.

All the second years you met today or will meet tomorrow put their weekends on hold at the last minute to come meet you guys after it was decided that we needed more volunteers. That's how much they care that y'all feel welcome and safe.

AND

All the interviewers and staff whom you met today or will meet tomorrow are also volunteers who are devoting their weekends just get to know you (no matter how stoic they appear..) They are rooting for you.

For the interview, is it just one question that you have to answer, and you have, say, 10 minutes to do so, or is it a conversation, where the interviewer may feed the conversation with follow up questions?

isn't that how an MMI runs? UofT doesn't do MMI.. I am guessing since it's 4 spearate panel interviews .. it's still back and forth questions (just fewer than before at a given time, with a given interviewer)

What a brave student, helping out with interviews when there is a giant MNU exam tmr

haha, I've been cycling between despair and panic for this exam. Plus, I got a fair bit of review done while at interviews- probably ended up massively reinforcing the stereotype that our school is slightly academic heavy, lol.

It was nice when interviewees wished me luck on the exam, despite the fact that they were minutes away from a UofT Admissions Interview (which is significantly more life altering), haha. Extra motivation!

From what I know some regrets have already been sent out.

I too know someone who received regrets. Regardless I this period now, between this past weekend of interviews and the next mar 1 interview week probably yielding a greater number of interviews regrets than we've seen so far. As they now have the interview format more or less down and don't have any weekends to set up for in the mean time.

I do hope for some more decisions sometime soon!

Does U/T have the max. number of applicants for the interview? If yes, how do they control the total number if they release the invitation on the rolling base? In another word, if they already know whom they will invite for interview, why can't send out the invitation all together? Waiting for the news for several weeks is not fun.

Does U/T have the max. number of applicants for the interview? If yes, how do they control the total number if they release the invitation on the rolling base? In another word, if they already know whom they will invite for interview, why can't send out the invitation all together? Waiting for the news for several weeks is not fun.

UofT is fairly flexible in how many # of students are interviewed, so they can easily accommodate more if needed. Perhaps it may be a bit more difficult this year due to the new format though.

Files are reviewed on a rolling basis as well, so a number of files (including people who may be invited for an interview) have yet to be reviewed. Therefore, they can't really send out all the invitations together

I don't think they've even gone through all of the applications. It's probably because of their holistic evaluation process it just takes them more time than other universities to go over all the applicants. Not really sure since this is my first time applying.

UofT is fairly flexible in how many # of students are interviewed, so they can easily accommodate more if needed. Perhaps it may be a bit more difficult this year due to the new format though.

Files are reviewed on a rolling basis as well, so a number of files (including people who may be invited for an interview) have yet to be reviewed. Therefore, they can't really send out all the invitations together

What is the new format about?

+1 . I much prefer UT's holistic review system even though it takes longer. Just look at all the rage in the Westen forum about the dramatic change in cut offs, or the even worse rage going on about CASPer. UT's assement style may be more traditional but at least they really do evaluate your whole file before giving a response. That takes time, but if waiting longer means that your file gets assessed better (than getting cut off based decisions early in the cycle) then I would say it's worth it.

+1 . I much prefer UT's holistic review system even though it takes longer. Just look at all the rage in the Westen forum about the dramatic change in cut offs, or the even worse rage going on about CASPer. UT's assement style may be more traditional but at least they really do evaluate your whole file before giving a response. That takes time, but if waiting longer means that your file gets assessed better (than getting cut off based decisions early in the cycle) then I would say it's worth it.

While, waiting longer also means more chance to get a rejection.:P

This is technically not true. All it means is that your file may be in a later batch.

Well technically, the more invites that get sent out without many rejections, the greater the probability of getting a rejection.

That being said, definitely a more healthy approach to see it as hopeful! Especially for people with a lot of rejections - U of T isn't just throwing you out because of cut offs! They're carefully reviewing your file and will see how wonderful you are. Yaaaaay!

Archived