Premed 101 Forums

Transferring programs?

I have a few quick questions regarding program transfers:

1) How common is it?

2) When done, are transfers usually between schools (i.e. Gen Surg at Calgary -> Gen Surg at Queen's) or between programs (i.e. U of T IM -> U of T Neurology). Are some types of transfers more common than the others?

3) Who needs to agree to a transfer? The incoming program, or both programs? What factors do they use when deciding whether to accept a transfer?

Thanks for the information!

• 1 month later...

In the same specialty

Some considerations are:

1. reason- I had to meet with the dean to discuss this- I don't think the program director really can keep you in a program you want to leave from but the program you are going to would of course need to interview you

2. your funding would go with you so that's usually not an issue

3. the accepting program would have to have space but sometimes they do as residents drop out, change programs within a school- etc.

I ended up starting residency at the school I ranked 3rd, I finished residency at the school I had ranked 1st (for the last 1.5 years of my 5 year program). I am fortunate it worked out that way. I also worked really hard to improve my "trade value" and favourable reviews will always help. Sometimes the match doesn't go the way you planned it to, but along the way there could be opportunities to change schools, its not always as carved in stone as it might first appear when match day comes.

the reason I changed programs was to do with meeting someone in internship and getting engaged along the way. The long distance relationship was becoming too hard and for family reasons it was granted to me. The dean was most understanding and I think they recognize that personal circumstances can come into play and are generally really reasonable. Of course, the hard part is leaving behind the colleagues you started out (and regretfully it may make a program smaller) with but you will eventually catch up with them again. I was the med student that it took 5 years to get into med school with, applying only to one school and being granted 4 interviews in a row before I finally got in. I'm used to doing things the hard way LOL but eventually it all works out the way you hope it would.

Archived