Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Interview Invites/Regrets 2014

Result: Denied (1st time applicant)

wGPA: 3.81

MCAT: PS11/VR9/BS11

ECs: balanced - have some long term non-med related, some tutoring, research, music and competitive sports. My EC's are likely a strength for me, but we'll see what they say in July.

Year: 4th yr BSc

Geography : IP

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rejected :(

IP

10 VR

MSc completed

Working as research tech for past 5 and half years.

ECs: VP of a provincial party constituency association for 2 yrs (ongoing), Campaigned in the last provincial and federal elections, treasure of condo board for 4 years (ongoing), consecutively co-organized two citywide annual fundraising event (ongoing), over 350 hours on a crisis line (ongoing), involvement in theatre, many years of work in customer service, three scientific publication in peer reviewed journals (1 first of author), numerous conference abstracts and posters.

I met with a writing coach to improve my writing over the previous year and even replaced one of my references as the individual was giving me only mediocre letters.

The bitter sting of this is that last year I was interviewed the only thing I can attribute this rejection to is that I rewrote the MCAT my previous scores were 8PS/9VR/11BS/S and the rewrite was 6PS/10VR/9BS. I checked with many people on the forum and talked colleagues about which scores I should use for this cycle and many cited that Calgary is a VR school and that a higher VR score is easily translated to higher allocation of that 10% whereas the BS and PS scores are lumped into the subjective assessment of academics. If it isn't due to that than really it is a lot to do with luck and whose lap your application lands.

Feeling pretty disappointed not knowing whether I'm a victim of chance or making the wrong call on my MCAT scores :(

Stats to 11 AM MST Jan 30:

GPA two-tailed t for Invite vs. Deny: (P=0.26) (Not significant)

Group Invite Deny

Mean 3.8431 3.7750

SD 0.1437 0.1677

SEM 0.0282 0.0593

N 26 8

VR two-tailed t (P=0.013) (significant)

Group Invite Deny

Mean 10.96 9.63

SD 1.40 0.52

SEM 0.27 0.18

N 26 8

Chi-Squared for ECs (two tailed P=0.42)

Average EC High EC Total

Invite 8 17 25

Deny 4 4 8

Total 12 21 33

GPA of successful IP vs OOP Two-tailed t (P=0.051)

Group Invite OP Invite IP

Mean 3.9009 3.7886

SD 0.0501 0.1747

SEM 0.0151 0.0467

N 11 14

VR of successful IP vs OOP Two tailed t (P=0.003)

Mean 11.82 10.21

SD 0.98 1.31

SEM 0.30 0.35

N 11 14

PM me if you want the spreadsheet, as I am not in front of SPSS right now, so can't do anything much more interesting.

Stats to 11 AM MST Jan 30:

GPA two-tailed t for Invite vs. Deny: (P=0.26) (Not significant)

Group Invite Deny

Mean 3.8431 3.7750

SD 0.1437 0.1677

SEM 0.0282 0.0593

N 26 8

VR two-tailed t (P=0.013) (significant)

Group Invite Deny

Mean 10.96 9.63

SD 1.40 0.52

SEM 0.27 0.18

N 26 8

Chi-Squared for ECs (two tailed P=0.42)

Average EC High EC Total

Invite 8 17 25

Deny 4 4 8

Total 12 21 33

GPA of successful IP vs OOP Two-tailed t (P=0.051)

Mean 3.9009 3.7886

SD 0.0501 0.1747

SEM 0.0151 0.0467

N 11 14

VR of successful IP vs OOP Two tailed t (P=0.003)

Mean 11.82 10.21

SD 0.98 1.31

SEM 0.30 0.35

N 11 14

PM me if you want the spreadsheet, as I am not in front of SPSS right now, so can't do anything much more interesting.

Are these stats from PM101 or did Calgary post them?

Result: Reject

wGPA: 3.73 wGPA with 10-yr rule

MCAT: 11/11/11/R

ECs: better than average last year

Year: finished UG, non-trad

Interviewed last year, but it turned out I was in the bottom of the invite pool. Changed up a ref this year, but no invited. I suspect I just missed it, but I will be interviewing at UBC so not really incredibly disappointed. Still I would have preferred Calgary- they seem awesome. Will apply again if not accepted to UBC this year.

Result: Invite

wGPA: 3.75

MCAT: 9VR (atrocious rest of score)

ECs: International volunteering with displaced children, longterm local volunteering with kids, conference presentations (no pubs yet), activist work, creative writing, worked as a RA, other stuff....

Year: 2nd year MSc

You guys are making me wonder how the hell I got an interview at all. Especially with this MCAT discussion - I have the most abysmal overall MCAT score around and my VR score is barely acceptable. I think my ref letters are pretty strong though? I also suspect my non-cog scores will be high, but I'm still totally blown away....

I guess it's about time I posted this:

wGPA: 3.81

MCAT: 9VR (low-ish in PS/BS)

ECs: Definitely where I thought was the strongest part of my application. I even had to cut down my experiences to fit the top ten. Have some research, have worked thousands of hours with people from all walks of life (cancer, cerebral palsy, obesity, Alzheimer's, diabetes, olympic athletes etc.), helped develop and deliver a successful program to combat childhood obesity over a 3 year period. Worked a lot: customer service, at a university, community rehabilitation worker, and now in healthcare. Lots of travel. Fostered dogs for 3+ years.

Year: Finished UG and a non-trad

I guess I'll have to re-write the MCAT again this summer to bring up my VR as well as the lower PS/BS sections. I may have also not written about my EC's well either.

TIME STAMP: 1:43, January 29th

Result: Invite :)

wGPA: 3.48

MCAT: 11/11/13

ECs: Pretty strong. Have worked with at risk youth for 8+ years, done 3 international service trips, volunteer with sick kids, serve as a board director for a historical site, etc. Plus lots of work.

Year: 4th year UG

I'm pretty upset to post a rejection. I legitimately thought I had a decent shot at UofC. Alas, my garbage verbal score. Round two next year.

TIME STAMP: ~4:30pm EST, January 29th

Result: Rejection

wGPA: 3.74

MCAT: 8 VR

ECs: I would say pretty strong. 12 years working at a senior creative level in advertising, lots of pro-bono advertising work for non-profits and charities (2000+ hr), president of a board for 6 years, a year of volunteering at a vet clinic w/ surgical experience, multi-instrumentalist, sports, paper being prepared for publication, research in two labs (one for a year, the other for three years), non-trad @ 33 y/o, etc.

Year: 4th yr. UG

I feel like my VR score was a major detriment for my application this year. I'll be rewriting the MCAT this summer and I won't be making the same mistake again. Perhaps my application could have been better written. I'll have to review that as well.

Good luck to everyone at interviews.

TIME STAMP: 12:37

wGPA: 3.95

MCAT: PS 14/VR 10/BS 14/WR S

ECs: Pretty good: community volunteering for a couple years, 2 summers research w/ bunch of grants and presentation awards, honours project, competitive sports, experienced pilot.

Year: UG 4th IP

TIME STAMP: 1:44PM

Interview Date: 02 23

wGPA: 3.58

MCAT: VR9

ECs: Quite strong (last year I scored in the 94th percentile). Long-term volunteer and work experience with PLWHA, and people living with disabilities. Lots of fund and awareness raising for various causes. United Nations delegate this past October, International Development work for CIDA in Bangladesh, Athlete (played tennis and rowed for my Uni), Travel, Leadership Awards.

Year: BSc Completed

IP

wGPA: 3.67

MCAT: 9VR

ECs: Thought they would be strong enough to push my app though, I guess not lol

Hopefully next year I will be able to apply with a higher GPA and MCAT. Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Wow. We have almost identical stats :eek:

wGPA: 3.68

MCAT: 11/9/10

ECs: Will have to wait until stats come out to see how they rank.

Pretty choked- thought for sure I'd at least get an interview. Oh well, next year may be better!

wGPA: 3.70

MCAT: 13V 12B 9P

ECs: I thought they were pretty good. Longtime volunteering with church (youth program and music), a lot of travel, poverty volunteering in Costa Rica, piano for 9 years, research work experience. No publications or medical volunteering, other than shadowing a physician for 10 hours or so. We'll have to wait until they release the scores to see where they want me to improve.

Year: 4th year UG (Biology with med prereqs)

Archived