Premed 101 Forums

What do you consider the Number 1 problem facing healthcare?

Guest MrNeuroscience

Guest DramaticallyCounterintuitive

Tylenol is a NSAID, as is asprin. They're just older NSAIDs. I personally think that doctors should be prescribing generic medications whenever possible, since they are cheap and there is more data available to back up their effectiveness/safety. The same is not true of of the "latest" branded drugs, which are often rushed to market as soon as possible. Often in the long run they prove to have little or no advantage over the older treatment, despite their astronomical cost.

Just my 2 cents,

Ian

For example, many doctor's prescribe NSAID's for osteoarthritis but tylenol has been shown to have better results for pain relief with less side effects. Rheumatoid arthritis does require NSAIDs. NSAIDs can have serious side effects...remember vioxx.

Guest pappy mckeys

Tylenol is most definitely NOT an NSAID. Not to be rude, but I think you should refrain from posting such things unless you know what you're talking about.

Guest DramaticallyCounterintuitive

Sorry, I was mistaken. I had always thought acetominophen was a NSAID, because of its similarity in mechanism of action (inhibition of cyclooxygenase), but upon some further reading I found out that it has negligible anti-inflammatory action. Hey, I learned something today :)

My apologies to Zuckman.

Archived