Premed 101 Forums

1 Year Until I Apply - Suggestions?

Hey Guys,

Apologies if there is a thread that already covers my type of question.

I'm seriously considering applying to a few Physiotherapy programs in Canada next year. I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, so Dalhousie would be my first choice. My undergraduate degree is a Bachelor of Commerce with a focus in Accounting. My cGPA was a 3.44. It is a 3.3 in my last 60 credit hours... which is the minimum at Dalhousie.

I'm wondering, aside from ensuring I have all the prerequisite courses to apply to the schools I'm interested in, what are some things I should be doing over the next year to greatly improve my chances of acceptance? Re-take courses to improve my GPA? Volunteer... do you know what types Physiotherapy schools like to see? Any suggestions are welcome and much appreciated!

Thanks you,

LA_0209

If you're applying to other schools in Canada I would recommend taking additional courses to improve your GPA. A 3.80 is considered competitive at this time, crazy as it is. Last year the cut-off to receive an interview was 3.76 at Mcmaster and U of T. Western doesn't require an interview as it's solely bard on GPA and the cut-off is much higher. If you have great volunteer experience you might have a shot at Queens.

Depending on the school, getting some volunteer experience would be a great idea or even a pre-requisite, as well as giving you a taste of the profession.

Good luck :))!! Hope this helps

If you're applying to other schools in Canada I would recommend taking additional courses to improve your GPA. A 3.80 is considered competitive at this time, crazy as it is. Last year the cut-off to receive an interview was 3.76 at Mcmaster and U of T. Western doesn't require an interview as it's solely bard on GPA and the cut-off is much higher. If you have great volunteer experience you might have a shot at Queens.

Depending on the school, getting some volunteer experience would be a great idea or even a pre-requisite, as well as giving you a taste of the profession.

Good luck :))!! Hope this helps

Thank you PTSkye. Appreciate the response!

Archived