Premed 101 Forums

a polisci course in health issues good for interview prep?

Guest dr555

Hi all,

Happy New Year!

I am currently considering a Politics of Canadian Health Care course for next semester.I know that it is a difficult course, with large volumes of reading and many essays. In addition, I have little experience in any poli courses or lack adequate knowledge of the health care system. ( which is the reason I am considering this course)

With interviews coming up ( hopefully, that is), I thought it would be a good idea to brush up on my knowledge through taking this course. However, do you tihink that it is worth the risk of taking a difficult course in order to prepare for interviews in this way (and, of course, it would be nice to learn about the system I might be entering!)? Do interview questions commonly cover only the basic /current issues?

Your help is much appreciated,

dr555

Guest DancingDoc

Dr555,

What about doing an audit? That way you can get the information and discussion, but not worry about marks being affected if you do feel you are in over your head.

Guest Jochi1543

Audit is a great idea. If you need the credits, you can also try a pass/fail. I personally find that once the middle of the semester rolls in and you get busy with your "real" classes, it becomes hard to keep up with the class you're auditing, so I'd recommend doing it pass/fail, since then you don't have to do ALL the work if you're too busy with other stuff - but you cannot slack off completely.

I've tried an audit last year just for interest. And as Jochi said, once mid-semester rolled around, I stopped attending.

Maybe I'll try the audit again since I'll have an actual reason for going besides interest ( ie. interviews!). As an alternative, I could always take the time I'd spend auditing and read up on health care books!

dr555

Guest HenryTheBig

Hey,

I'm currently taking an ethics course and its pretty much essay based so I find that stuff difficult. Nonetheless, I don't think I could learn the ethics stuff as well on my own without a course. I say taking courses that help for interviews is a good way to manage time.

Henner

Archived