Premed 101 Forums

cGPA vs. sGPA

From what I understand, all schools look at your sub-GPA and base acceptances off that in combination with reference letters and/or interviews. Queens in particular looks at your cumulative GPA and sup-gpa (as well as reference letters and personal submissions) to determine if you get accepted or not, though I think your sub-gpa is worth more. You'll be able to find this information in the online booklet" http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/orpas/b_orpas_e.pdf

• 9 months later...

I'm wondering if anyone has experience in applying for PT with a low cGPA and high sGPA?

I have a sub-par cGPA (3.39), but a pretty solid sGPA (3.88). Wondering what my chances are of getting into which schools. I'm pretty stressed about my cGPA and which schools to apply for... The first couple years of uni were pretty rough. Hoping my sGPA and work experience will increase my chances of getting in!

Thanks in advance!

Hey hotwheels_11,

You have a great sGPA for all PT programs in Canada. Like MazzyMaz has mentioned,  don't worry too much about cGPA as Queen's and McGill are the only schools that even look at cGPA. It seems like you have worked your butt off since your rough start at uni. 

Best of luck!

HI all,

I just found a MCGill guide to calculate cGPA and GPA for last two years for postgraduate program, it is a little old though. Has anyone use this before?

http://www.mcgill.ca/files/gps/gpaguide.pdf

As for PT and OT qualifying year I know we still need 3.2 cGPA as minimum. Though in this website it had mentioned that cGPA for the whole undergraduate degree needs to be minimum 3.0. But GPA last two years should be 3.2 in order to be accepted. 

I have been trying to calculate mine using the MCGill GPA conversion excel sheet. Stressing out with two exams next week as well. Anyhow, i calculated my cGPA to be 3.19 :( and GPA for last two years as subGPA 3.52 or last 10 recent courses to be subGPA 3.51.

Unless i drop one Human Physiology exam next week, my cGPA could be 3.21.

Can someone advice? Will it be a red flag if i drop Human Physio this semester but have a cGPA of 3.21 instead of 3.19?

I have been working extra hard last 3 years as my first degree was more than 10 years ago and didn't do so well.

Thanks alot!

HI all,

I just found a MCGill guide to calculate cGPA and GPA for last two years for postgraduate program, it is a little old though. Has anyone use this before?

http://www.mcgill.ca/files/gps/gpaguide.pdf

As for PT and OT qualifying year I know we still need 3.2 cGPA as minimum. Though in this website it had mentioned that cGPA for the whole undergraduate degree needs to be minimum 3.0. But GPA last two years should be 3.2 in order to be accepted. 

I have been trying to calculate mine using the MCGill GPA conversion excel sheet. Stressing out with two exams next week as well. Anyhow, i calculated my cGPA to be 3.19  :( and GPA for last two years as subGPA 3.52 or last 10 recent courses to be subGPA 3.51.

Unless i drop one Human Physiology exam next week, my cGPA could be 3.21.

Can someone advice? Will it be a red flag if i drop Human Physio this semester but have a cGPA of 3.21 instead of 3.19?

I have been working extra hard last 3 years as my first degree was more than 10 years ago and didn't do so well.

Thanks alot!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you wouldn't use McGill's GPA calculation guide unless you did your post-graduate studies at McGill.

Archived