Premed 101 Forums

Foreign Med School for Research?

Hello,

I was wondering if the following is feasible (and advisable):

Pursuing an MD at a foreign med school for the sole purpose of returning to Canada to do research.

I'm a non traditional applicant, and although I'm applying to Canadian schools, my options are fairly limited because my GPA in my first degree is low (2.5) and my second is much better (3.84 after first year).

I don't want to practice medicine, but I want to do research, and it looks like most of the people who do research in my area of interest have MDs (or MD/PhD).

Hello,

I was wondering if the following is feasible (and advisable):

Pursuing an MD at a foreign med school for the sole purpose of returning to Canada to do research.

I'm a non traditional applicant, and although I'm applying to Canadian schools, my options are fairly limited because my GPA in my first degree is low (2.5) and my second is much better (3.84 after first year).

I don't want to practice medicine, but I want to do research, and it looks like most of the people who do research in my area of interest have MDs (or MD/PhD).

So what you are telling me is that.. you want to spent ~350,000 Canadian dollars on a 4 year medical education overseas... to not practice medicine, but become a MD/PhD?

Are you a PhD right now? I suppose you can.. but financially, it makes no sense.

Feasible - Yes. It's not hard to be "accepted" into an overseas "MD" school.

Advisable - No - for financial reasons.

So what you are telling me is that.. you want to spent ~350,000 Canadian dollars on a 4 year medical education overseas... to not practice medicine, but become a MD/PhD?

Are you a PhD right now? I suppose you can.. but financially, it makes no sense.

Feasible - Yes. It's not hard to be "accepted" into an overseas "MD" school.

Advisable - No - for financial reasons.

I'm not a PhD now.

I am applying to Canadian schools, but I only have a reasonable shot at Queens and Western.

I cannot apply to DO schools, or else I would (I can apply, but my first degree heavily weighs me down).

I'd like to do research, regardless of where I end up. I'm trying to figure out of a foreign MD/PhD is superior to staying at home and working on a PhD (should I not get into Medical School in Canada).

If you want to do research, then go to Europe. Switzerland, Norway and the likes. Much cheaper, and some great medical research institutions there. If you're sole intent is research, there are some excllent leading programs there, and you won't have to worry about residency problems.

If you want to do research, then go to Europe. Switzerland, Norway and the likes. Much cheaper, and some great medical research institutions there. If you're sole intent is research, there are some excllent leading programs there, and you won't have to worry about residency problems.

How could you forgot the UK, and say Norway when I believe you mean Sweden (Karolinska Institute).

Either way this is an old thread as you might know

How could you forgot the UK, and say Norway when I believe you mean Sweden (Karolinska Institute).

Either way this is an old thread as you might know

Yes, Sweden also. Karolinska was what I had in mind, but mixed it up with Norway. The UK also, that is a given, was providing altenatives in cheaper Scandinavian countries.

Not all, I have a peer doing his PhD in Switzerland, let me check what school and ill post back.

I meant specifically the MD programs in Switzerland. I'd like to know where your peer studies, but I'm not sure if the quality of education in Switzerland is significantly greater than that at the University of Toronto.

You are the op, I would try to get into the Canadian schools you have a chance at and develop your research background, maybe get a masters in the mean time. Otherwise, there are md/phd programs in Europe that would fit your needs.

I will be applying to MD/PhD programs at Western and Queens. I can't get into U of T.

I can get into U of T for a PhD in Molecular Genetics or Biochemistry, but wouldn't even be considered for the MD.

Do you know where I can find a list of MD/PhD programs in Europe that I can consider?

Thank you!

Archived