Premed 101 Forums

usask interview invites

I received notice yesterday.

I was rejected.

I'm OOP , 3rd year student.

The notice stated that the OOP cutoff was 93.55% and 86.00% for IP.

This is the highest OOP cutoff I've ever seen!!!

Hope I'm successful with my IP interviews (I'm from Ontario and have an interview at U of T).

note: there was no mention of DAT score cutoffs

Guest gookbbong123

You know if you translate 4.0 gpa into sask gpa, it comes out to be 93% on dot...no way the cutoff was 93.55% unless people were given higher grades than A+? lol

This comes from their web:

Q. Only letter grades are shown on my institution’s official transcript. How do you determine the average for admission purposes?

A. The College of Dentistry shall be guided by the University of Saskatchewan Post-Secondary Grading Systems grade conversion chart to convert letter grades to percentage grades. The letter grade conversions are:

A+ = 93%

A = 88%

A- = 83%

I was rejected.

Hope I'm successful with my IP interviews (I'm from Ontario and have an interview at U of T).

That's what they have written on the notice...this is not something you can make up because it's substantiated by documentation.

Remember that some schools report % (I go to UWO and my transcript has %).

It would be nice if someone else that also got a rejection could confirm this.

I was rejected.

CUTOFF OF NINETY-THREE. FIVE FIVE FOR INTERVIEWS WHAT???

"I wish to advise you that the College has confirmed the Invitation to Interview list. Unfortunately, you have not been selected to interview for admission this year. The cut-off average for Saskatchewan Residents was 86.07% and 93.55% for non-Saskatchewan Residents."

I didn't mean to freak people out but, it is what it is. Above, I have cut and pasted the exact message on my rejection notice. Remeber there are only 6 spots available for OOPs in Sask.

Admissions is certainly getting scary, that's for sure!!!!!

"I wish to advise you that the College has confirmed the Invitation to Interview list. Unfortunately, you have not been selected to interview for admission this year. The cut-off average for Saskatchewan Residents was 86.07% and 93.55% for non-Saskatchewan Residents."

I didn't mean to freak people out but, it is what it is. Above, I have cut and pasted the exact message on my rejection notice. Remeber there are only 6 spots available for OOPs in Sask.

Admissions is certainly getting scary, that's for sure!!!!!

Yea definitely crazy!! Wasn't the cutoff for OOP like 90 or 89 last year? Does anyone know how many OOP Sask actually interviews? I have a feeling the waitlist for SaskOOP will move like crazy this year... OOP students with >93.55 averages in all likelihood are going to get accepted at their home schools.

meh, i still dont believe this stats lol 93.55 = impossible to obtain in 4/5 ontario schools (you need practically higher than 4.00 lol). who believes this bullcrap?

It wouldn't surprise me if it is 93.55. There are only 6 seats for OOP with people applying from all over Canada. What doesn't seem to make sense is that if you're applying from a university that only gives letter grades it would be impossible to get an interview according to the conversion usask uses.

Next year: We regret to inform you that you did not meet the cutoff for an interview of >98% and 1 Nobel Prize.

I definitely don't have 93.55% because my school only uses Letter Grades. I am an OOP and I was very surprised that I got an interview invite. Any other OOPs got interview invites as well?

I have a 4.0, but my best 2 year average is not over 93, so I wouldn't get an interview at USask - so I guess I won't waste my money and apply to them next year.

That being said, despite having a 4.0, in biomed at uwo, I know TONS that have close to a 4.0 or 4.0 GPA, so I don't exactly feel special. Some of the kids are very good at taking bird courses, and harbor old exams they only share in their small groups. Plus, I guess grade inflation is pretty rampant now.

The only way to compete is to do the same. I REALLY recommend people make sure the courses they take are easy (of course, some core courses have to be taken, but every elective should be pure bird), DO EVERYTHING to get old exams (some small ethnic cliques often have them, so make friends with those people), FIGHT for every mark, and learn to study well too. Within 5-10 years, I'm pretty sure >3.95 will be required for almost all medical/dental schools. So if you are in high school, choose your university and program very carefully.

I have a 4.0, but my best 2 year average is not over 93, so I wouldn't get an interview at USask - so I guess I won't waste my money and apply to them next year.

That being said, despite having a 4.0, in biomed at uwo, I know TONS that have close to a 4.0 or 4.0 GPA, so I don't exactly feel special. Some of the kids are very good at taking bird courses, and harbor old exams they only share in their small groups. Plus, I guess grade inflation is pretty rampant now.

The only way to compete is to do the same. I REALLY recommend people make sure the courses they take are easy (of course, some core courses have to be taken, but every elective should be pure bird), DO EVERYTHING to get old exams (some small ethnic cliques often have them, so make friends with those people), FIGHT for every mark, and learn to study well too. Within 5-10 years, I'm pretty sure >3.95 will be required for almost all medical/dental schools. So if you are in high school, choose your university and program very carefully.

Hmm second year UWO biomed here. In first year I knew a lot of people with 3.9+. Many of these people got demolished in second year (dropping to 3.5s). Are you sure there are "TONS" of people in biomed with 4.0 cGPAs throughout all 4 years? That seems excessively rare!

Well, in my social network, yes. By tons, I mean >15 at least that I personally know. All over 3.95 by 4th year. Many were hit hard by orgo in 2nd year (if they didn't take them in the summer) - and 2nd year is the hardest. But yeah, by 4th year, lots. While I can't say for sure, UWO biomed is much easier than most Toronto and McGill science programs, BUT is harder or equivalent to similar programs at other large universities (McMaster, Queen's, Ottawa, etc)

Ah I see. Just curious, how many people do you know with a best two years over 95%? This would be much rarer than 3.95+ right?

Well, I can't say for sure. I don't have a best 2 year above 95 (it's less than 93 even). But 3 friends for sure do. One is 97.2, another 96, and another 95.5ish (or so she says). But all the others (at least those that shared their marks with me) are mainly between 91-94.

Funny thing is that 2 of the peops with >95, have GPAs less than 4.00! So at least I beat them in that category! But for uwo dents (or sask dents and other places looking at %), they have me beat.

Well, I can't say for sure. I don't have a best 2 year above 95 (it's less than 93 even). But 3 friends for sure do. One is 97.2, another 96, and another 95.5ish (or so she says). But all the others (at least those that shared their marks with me) are mainly between 91-94.

Funny thing is that 2 of the peops with >95, have GPAs less than 4.00! So at least I beat them in that category! But for uwo dents (or sask dents and other places looking at %), they have me beat.

Hahaha yea, I personally know one person who got ~98 avg in first year (with haffie bio!) and I know another person who is about to finish second year with ~96-97 (taking the full biomed course load during the school year). It's insane what some of these people are capable of!!! It's funny how non of those guys went to any hyped up UTS, private highschools, or IB or anything like that... just humble public schools LOL.

Yeah - the humble public schools actually can offer an advantage in all this given that the ridiculously high 97/98's would potentially be more attainable, and after all it is the absolute number, not the name of the school that counts!!

I think what dmd was saying was that the people who went to humble public schools are the ones seemingly getting the highest marks at university, where they are competing with students from IB programs, UTS, UCC, or whatever.

I went to what is considered the top HS in London (London Central - which is considered among the top 2-3 public high schools in Ontario consistently), but doesn't have the fancy pedigree of some of the private high schools. But kids from my HS are totally dominating at university (at least at UWO - where 1st yr in particular is a joke).

Yeah - the humble public schools actually can offer an advantage in all this given that the ridiculously high 97/98's would potentially be more attainable, and after all it is the absolute number, not the name of the school that counts!!

Yep haha, I was referring to 97 98s in university. In a well run public high school, high school averages of 97/98 would almost be impossible to obtain, especially if you take English4U at school. Heck, even for stuff like grade 12 chem4U.. the highest mark in my grade was 92. The majority of people coming into uni with 97s and 98s and other crazy high averages either 1) Took a bunch of courses at plaza private schools where you pay 400 bucks for a 99. 2) Went to some private high school with 20k a year tuition where teachers give you marks if your parents complain 3) Got some crazy conversion with the IB scale (where 7 can be converted to a 100 sometimes)

But of course, there are many public schools where I'm pretty sure the teachers give free marks/super easy tests.

Archived