Premed 101 Forums

Post-interview GPA Consideration

Hi,

If you already have a degree (4 years), and are taking more classes (undergraduate), does UBC still consider your on-going courses post-interview? I ask cause they already drop your lowest year if you have 4 years, so I was wondering if additional courses come into play when making a decision for May 15th. Do they ask for course updates at the end of April? Are offers conditional?

Hi,

If you already have a degree (4 years), and are taking more classes (undergraduate), does UBC still consider your on-going courses post-interview? I ask cause they already drop your lowest year if you have 4 years, so I was wondering if additional courses come into play when making a decision for May 15th. Do they ask for course updates at the end of April? Are offers conditional?

No, further courses taken will not impact the current cycle (unless it is a pre-requisite). You still have to send in an updated transcript if you get in, but the marks do not affect anything.

what if you are taking a pre-requisite (or two) this semester, though you already have a four year degree?

I'm doing the same (3 courses, actually, for only UBC). I imagine they'll only care that we earn the credit. Not really seeing anything else on the site to indicate offers being conditional on marks.

I'm doing the same (3 courses, actually, for only UBC). I imagine they'll only care that we earn the credit. Not really seeing anything else on the site to indicate offers being conditional on marks.

I can't remember what the condition was, but I think it's something along the lines of your GPA dropping by 5% or something that could affect the outcome. Don't quote me on it that though, I'm not 100% on it.

And yes you're bang on regarding the pre-reqs.

You can't let your overall average drop by more than 5% otherwise they can take away your acceptance.

edit: ^^^ wizard

edit2: I can't find anything on this on their website anymore. Maybe the rule changed?

I don't think this rule exists.

Also, if you've gotten a 3.9 for 3 years of undergrad, then you get a 3.7 in your acceptance year (which can be the result of one bad class), then I don't think they would take away your offer.. just doesnt make sense

I don't think this rule exists.

Also, if you've gotten a 3.9 for 3 years of undergrad, then you get a 3.7 in your acceptance year (which can be the result of one bad class), then I don't think they would take away your offer.. just doesnt make sense

It definitely DID exist at some point, but I can't find it anymore either. They seem to have taken down the entire "post-acceptance conditions" Page. I noticed because I was looking for info on how much the acceptance deposit was. Which used to be on that page, along with the standard "you must get these vaccines and do CPR" things.

EDIT: Still there! Sorry. No GPA requirement on that page though.

It definitely DID exist at some point, but I can't find it anymore either. They seem to have taken down the entire "post-acceptance conditions" Page. I noticed because I was looking for info on how much the acceptance deposit was. Which used to be on that page, along with the standard "you must get these vaccines and do CPR" things.

I believe this is what you are looking for:

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/post-acceptance-conditions/

But yea, no GPA requirements there

You can't let your overall average drop by more than 5% otherwise they can take away your acceptance.

This did exist, but it not something most would worry about. To drop the OVERALL (i.e. at least 3 years) GPA by 5%, one would have to harsh-fail a few courses or get very mediocre grades across the board. For the OP who has 4 years worth of credits, a couple courses likely won't have any impact at all.

However, if you can't find this rule stated anywhere (esp. check the interview package), it just means one less thing to worry about :)

Archived