Premed 101 Forums

Med School in Ireland

Hello,

I applied reallly late to AtlanticBridge for the upcoming 2014 entry.

I have 3.67 gpa

HBSc. and MSc.

Great extracurricular/volunteer/research background

but

26 MCAT

I am worried because I am hearing that you need 30+ MCAT to get into Irish GEM entry. Has anyone received an offer with a low MCAT? Or know anyone who has been accepted with low MCAT?

Also, do they look at your marks independently? Or do they look at your GPA, MCAT, Extra curricular all together?

Thanks for your help!

I want to apply for fall 2015 in ireland, I am from Québec so I did CEPEP and took my degree in biology at Laval University. I never did the MCAT, am I obliged to do so for an application in med school overseas? I am also interested for the dental program and completed an application request using "Atlantic Bridge".

Thanks!

I want to apply for fall 2015 in ireland, I am from Québec so I did CEPEP and took my degree in biology at Laval University. I never did the MCAT, am I obliged to do so for an application in med school overseas? I am also interested for the dental program and completed an application request using "Atlantic Bridge".

Thanks!

If you want to apply to the 4 year program you need the MCAT. Otherwise for the 5 year program you don't. The 6 year program is for high school students so don't apply there.

Ok thanks for the answer, I appreciate! Another question: is it expensive to study in Ireland, like 90 000 $ CAD for the 5 years including food, somewhere to live etc?

You'd be lucky to pay $90k for a Canadian MD.

For Ireland, a four year program the cheapest tuition is 39,200 Euro per year.

Living expenses seem to average as being 15k-20k euro per year.

That's around $100,000 Canadian per year.

So, it's extremely expensive. Basically you are gambling $400k on getting a residency (which isn't easy, and getting worse).

Yes I just read a few threads, I think I'll forget about that. Well, is it the same for dentistry? As I wrote in my first post, there's the Atlantic Bridge.

They answered me this morning :

Dear X,

Thank you for your application request.

We are not yet sending out application packets for 2015 entry. Application forms and information regarding deadlines, etc. will be available in mid-summer 2014.

Please check back with us and re-submit your application request via our website in mid-summer (end of July/early August) and we will be happy to provide you with the application materials then.

Let us know if you have any questions and we will look forward to hearing from you again in the summer.

Best regards,

The Admissions Office

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone receive rejections yet?? Will they send by email or courier?

rejections can take awhile longer if you used Atlantic Bridge or equiv. What ends up happening is many people apply through these programs from Canada and the US as 'Backups' to local schools (for the GEP/GEM where ~half of the students are non-EU). As the students who are offered admission gain acceptance / late acceptance from Canada/US schools they decline their Ireland acceptance, and the next people down the list of non-EU applicants are offered.

I had one friend in 2008 get accepted to RCSI two weeks before classes began and another on my hockey team in 2011 a month before classes started at Limerick.

That isn't to say if you don't meet some sort of cutoff they won't send out a rejection letter. But if you were good enough for an interview you could be on some non-EU waitlist just waiting to see how things play out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived