Premed 101 Forums

Take away the salary of MDs

Although money is probably not the sole motivation for going into medicine for most people, I think it is definitely one of the many factors that contribute to a person pursuing medicine. Financial stability for oneself and their family are definitely major considerations.

Yup, and future income is a necessary thing to consider in choosing a career. You have to look at cost of entry versus earning potential when deciding on a career path. NOT doing that is how you end up with people with completely unmarketable degrees, no stable job, and tens of thousands of dollars of debt they can't pay off while working at a call centre.

My pursuing medicine comes at a significant cost to my family. It means my they have to deal with me being distracted and terribly busy for ten or more years. I couldn't pursue this if there were nothing in it for them - I get my dream career, they get a stable, fairly comfortable future. It wouldn't be fair to put them through this for my dream otherwise.

orcamute you must come from a rich family who will pay for everything. the amount of debt that most students incur throughout their studies can be quite frightening. Thinking that you want to do medicine because it makes you a baller who rolls in money is sheer stupidity. You make good money but you also have to pay down years and years of debt as well as work insane hours. you also burn out a lot faster in med school and residency if you're motivated purely by money.

you must be pre clerkship. you'll see what I mean when you get there

Archived