Premed 101 Forums

Take away the salary of MDs

Are you implying that the only worthwhile reason to pursue a career in medicine is the love of the job?

Also, unrelated but

>Put this in your signature if you know somebody who has died in a pokemon battle.

This brought a smile to my face.

Are you implying that the only worthwhile reason to pursue a career in medicine is the love of the job?

Also, unrelated but

>Put this in your signature if you know somebody who has died in a pokemon battle.

This brought a smile to my face.

Ouuu twist of words, you silly goose.

I am implying that people pursue medicine for the salaries, everything else is just an incentive to trick themselves in believing the career choice is altruistically made.

I am implying that people pursue medicine for the salaries, everything else is just an incentive to trick themselves in believing the career choice is altruistically made.

Ooooooh somebody's a little bitter about medicine today:P why not pursue something else then?:)

stock market, entrepreneurship, business school, law, MBA, real estate......

All considerably more unpredictable than Medicine.

There are considerably more Lawyers than we need.If you do make it as a lawyer, your earning potential is less than a Medical Doctor, but you start earning more money sooner since you don't have to do a 3-6 year residency. Electricians make a lot of money, I guess that is an option. So is Computer Science/Programming.

If you're very good at mathematics, finishing a Msc/PhD in Applied Math or Statistics = Big money as a quant. or in finance/investment banking.

All considerably more unpredictable than Medicine.

There are considerably more Lawyers than we need.If you do make it as a lawyer, your earning potential is less than a Medical Doctor, but you start earning more money sooner since you don't have to do a 3-6 year residency. Electricians make a lot of money, I guess that is an option. So is Computer Science/Programming.

If you're very good at mathematics, finishing a Msc/PhD in Applied Math or Statistics = Big money as a quant. or in finance/investment banking.

Of course, it is related to the effort you put. Most physicians work tirelessly for the money they earn. Also, medicine is a long path with a lot of uncertainty associated with getting into med school and getting matched into high paying specialities.

That is not true for the options I have listed and the list goes on.

I fear I'm going to be twisting your words again, but I feel that implicit in your statement is the idea that pursuing medicine should be a decision that is made altruistically. Is that the case? :P

Of course, it is related to the effort you put. Most physicians work tirelessly for the money they earn. Also, medicine is a long path with a lot of uncertainty associated with getting into med school and getting matched into high paying specialities.

I know its hard to compare the amount of work that physicians do versus any other profession, but I don't think its possible for anyone in this world to make a lot of money without working tirelessly toward their goals (although people do get lucky from time to time). Everything you listed requires a lot of work for success, and probably much more uncertainty as well (lets face it, once you get into med school, you're a doctor, and even if you get matched to something that's lower paying, you'll still have a fair salary at the end of the day).

Getting into Med school really is the big one (form my limited experience as a pre-med). Even the less lucrative specialties get paid fairly well, and Canadian medical education is relatively cheap.

ahh the endless debate on this!

Just to state that there are no absolutes - I left a career that paid more when you do all the math in both relative and absolute terms, a career spent quite some time developing and was skilled in, all in order to become a doctor. There are a lot of people going into medicine for a lot of different reasons.

Living solely for the pursuit of money is backwards approach in my mind because by definition money is merely a means to an end (its only purpose to get you something else after all. By itself its only other use would be for firekindling - well before we made the money plastic at least :) ). The real quite question is what is the true end you are looking for.

ahh the endless debate on this!

Just to state that there are no absolutes - I left a career that paid more when you do all the math in both relative and absolute terms, a career spent quite some time developing and was skilled in, all in order to become a doctor. There are a lot of people going into medicine for a lot of different reasons.

Living solely for the pursuit of money is backwards approach in my mind because by definition money is merely a means to an end (its only purpose to get you something else after all. By itself its only other use would be for firekindling - well before we made the money plastic at least :) ). The real quite question is what is the true end you are looking for.

What did you used to do, if you don't mind me asking?

Goin into medicine for money is like aiming to earn a million dollars by hoping to win a nobel prize. Not many people would do that. Also going into med for money seems so immature to me and I bet that mindset wears out by the time you start earning well. There is nothing wrong with it. I don't haven't researched any data to support my point as of now but stay tuned.

Goin into medicine for money is like aiming to earn a million dollars by hoping to win a nobel prize. Not many people would do that. Also going into med for money seems so immature to me and I bet that mindset wears out by the time you start earning well. There is nothing wrong with it. I don't haven't researched any data to support my point as of now but stay tuned.

Are you premed?

The lowest salary you will achieve as a full time doctor is 160k take home

Although money is probably not the sole motivation for going into medicine for most people, I think it is definitely one of the many factors that contribute to a person pursuing medicine. Financial stability for oneself and their family are definitely major considerations.

Although money is probably not the sole motivation for going into medicine for most people, I think it is definitely one of the many factors that contribute to a person pursuing medicine. Financial stability for oneself and their family are definitely major considerations.

Agreed. Financial stability and comfort is not the same as being a tiny money making firm.

Archived