Premed 101 Forums

May 15th Countdown Thread!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else fairly unsure what they'd do if offered a seat at a site other than your 1st choice? UBC VFMP is my top choice (barring getting a massive scholarship at Western), although I'm not sure how I'd feel about IMP/SMP over another school. Thing is, I'd be super tempted to accept the offer and hope that waitlist movement opened spots at VFMP. I know it's unlikely to happen and fairly silly to think about, but I can't help myself. :P

getting nervous! I feel like I messed up the essay (wasn't able to answer its specifics) felt neutral on one station and know I bombed one regular station as well. Really just hoping that 3 mediocre stations (including essay) aren't enough to disqualify an applicant but I realize it may just be.

However I did have 3 interviewers tell me I did a great job so hopefully that offsets the screw ups. Best of luck to everyone

getting nervous! I feel like I messed up the essay (wasn't able to answer its specifics) felt neutral on one station and know I bombed one regular station as well. Really just hoping that 3 mediocre stations (including essay) aren't enough to disqualify an applicant but I realize it may just be.

However I did have 3 interviewers tell me I did a great job so hopefully that offsets the screw ups. Best of luck to everyone

I heard that the interviewers are requested not to express any of their comments during interview. Is that true?

Is anyone else fairly unsure what they'd do if offered a seat at a site other than your 1st choice? UBC VFMP is my top choice (barring getting a massive scholarship at Western), although I'm not sure how I'd feel about IMP/SMP over another school. Thing is, I'd be super tempted to accept the offer and hope that waitlist movement opened spots at VFMP. I know it's unlikely to happen and fairly silly to think about, but I can't help myself. :P

I've heard such good things about the quality of instruction and learning opportunities at the distributed sites. If you liked UBC, I wouldn't worry too much about which campus, education wise at least.

If you're worried about location though, I guess that's a different story. If it's a big city/small city thing, Victoria is at least big enough that you won't be lacking for anything really, and both Victoria and kelowna are close enough for weekend trips to Van. :)

I heard that the interviewers are requested not to express any of their comments during interview. Is that true?

I don't think their supposed to, but lots of mine did, directly and indirectly, at all three schools. I guess it's hard to stay completely impartial.

I've heard such good things about the quality of instruction and learning opportunities at the distributed sites. If you liked UBC, I wouldn't worry too much about which campus, education wise at least.

If you're worried about location though, I guess that's a different story. If it's a big city/small city thing, Victoria is at least big enough that you won't be lacking for anything really, and both Victoria and kelowna are close enough for weekend trips to Van. :)

It is semi about the big/small city. I love Vancouver (lived there a couple summers ago) and am more than willing to move across the country to live there. Not as sure about Kelowna, although Victoria is pretty cool so I wouldn't be as hesitant about that. If I got an offer at Toronto St. George and UBC IMP, though, I'd have a really hard time deciding.

The drawback of it may be that it may give the applicant wrong intimation on how good the interview was.

I don't think so. It's not like their going to say "good job" then give the applicant a terrible score.

They are not supposed to react, and therefore when they do react , it's probably their true feelings showing.

It is semi about the big/small city. I love Vancouver (lived there a couple summers ago) and am more than willing to move across the country to live there. Not as sure about Kelowna, although Victoria is pretty cool so I wouldn't be as hesitant about that. If I got an offer at Toronto St. George and UBC IMP, though, I'd have a really hard time deciding.

Kelowna has awesome recreation, that's one thing. If it was your third choice though, it's unlikely you'll get it, so I wouldn't worry.

As for Victoria, it's no Toronto, but it's pretty nice. We also have two hospitals that have been almost entirely redone in the last 5 years, so that's a plus.

My struggle, should I get multiple offers, is going to be between UBC and Calgary. I loved U of C, but UBC is close to home. And I'm pretty much at an internal stalemate over the pros and cons of the three year program.

People come out of MMIs thinking they bombed the whole thing and end up getting offers. Calm down, it's probably not that bad.

Depend on how high his AQ is. If it is high enough, then should be able to balance the interview score, this is the impression from previous years. Not sure if there is any change this year.

Depend on how high his AQ is. If it is high enough, then should be able to balance the interview score, this is the impression from previous years. Not sure if there is any change this year.

My intention wasn't to convey that they ever bombed the stations to begin with. Often, it seems, people's perceptions of their performance are highly skewed. If you think you bombed a station, you probably didn't, you're just being too self-critical.

Sorry, I rarely post here but as the date draws closer I thought I'd jump in. The wait until the 15th is killing me! I consider myself a borderline applicant. I've got strong grades (89% aGPA) but my ECs, and MCAT (28..gulp) were terrible. Going through the list of those who didn't get an interview honestly makes me wonder if they didn't screw up by inviting me for an interview. I walked out of the interview feeling like a million, but that doesn't mean anything.

I keep squashing any optimistic feelings because I just don't feel like I have a shot:(

Also...is it bad news if none of my verifiers have been contacted...? Sorry for the rant, but if I complain to my wife one more time about it I may not live to see the admission date haha.

Sorry, I rarely post here but as the date draws closer I thought I'd jump in. The wait until the 15th is killing me! I consider myself a borderline applicant. I've got strong grades (89% aGPA) but my ECs, and MCAT (28..gulp) were terrible. Going through the list of those who didn't get an interview honestly makes me wonder if they didn't screw up by inviting me for an interview. I walked out of the interview feeling like a million, but that doesn't mean anything.

I keep squashing any optimistic feelings because I just don't feel like I have a shot:(

Also...is it bad news if none of my verifiers have been contacted...? Sorry for the rant, but if I complain to my wife one more time about it I may not live to see the admission date haha.

None of my verifiers have been contacted either, that I know of. I wouldn't worry. I think someone poster earlier that they got in and had no verifiers contacted.

I know a friend who got no verifiers contacted and got in. Another girl was contacted pre interview. Last cycle I was contacted pre interview, and this cycle post interview. I don't think it means anything

Are you going to retake MCAT if....this year?

Are you going to retake MCAT if....this year?

No, I will probably rewrite the 2015 one. I'm not a BSc applicant, so I'm not sure that I can do a whole lot better to be honest. I'm kind of banking on the "UBC doesn't place too much weight on the MCAT" myth.

If I don't get in this cycle I will probably reapply while starting to work on my back up plan. As a BA student I already had to go back to school for a couple years to be able to even apply this year. Can't keep being in limbo like this, as much as I really really want med school. What I want even more right now is to move on with life.

No, I will probably rewrite the 2015 one. I'm not a BSc applicant, so I'm not sure that I can do a whole lot better to be honest. I'm kind of banking on the "UBC doesn't place too much weight on the MCAT" myth.

If I don't get in this cycle I will probably reapply while starting to work on my back up plan. As a BA student I already had to go back to school for a couple years to be able to even apply this year. Can't keep being in limbo like this, as much as I really really want med school. What I want even more right now is to move on with life.

Do you know that there will be a section Psychology introduced in MCAT in 2015. At some point, this makes it harder for some MCAT writers. Everyone here is ready to, or already move on with the life.

Archived