Premed 101 Forums

May 15th Countdown Thread!

Well, the way I see it, if you can behave well enough and be sociable enough at the interview to get in, you will be fine when interacting with patients/colleagues. Does it really matter if someone is grumpy and antisocial in their personal life if they are able to tone it down at work? I don't think so.

Yes, once in a while, someone may slip through by completely faking it in the interview, but I think that's harder to do than a lot of people think.

2 hours, especially in a stressful MMI situation, is a long time to fake a personality completely different than your own.

I doubt it. Someone cannot even get along with close firends, ie. very selfish. How can the applcant contribute well to the strangers-patients?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt it. Someone cannot even get along with close firends, ie. very selfish. How can the applcant contribute well to the strangers-patients?

Because interactions with patients involve short chunks of time, and do not involve personal relationships.

I'm not saying it's ideal, just that it is possible for someone to get along well in a professional context but not in a personal one.

Because interactions with patients involve short chunks of time, and do not involve personal relationships.

I'm not saying it's ideal, just that it is possible for someone to get along well in a professional context but not in a personal one.

Not only the patients. The doctor also runs an office that is a social setting. The time spent with co-worker is not short chunks of time.

This is totally not based on anything scientific, but I think that people tend to overestimate how well the average applicant does on an interview.

Take out the people who really struggle with spoken English, the people who were debilitating nervous (I saw a few of each of these!), the people who were super cocky and didn't practice, the people who practiced way to much and sounded rehearsed and the few that slip through with just no social skills, and the number of people you have to "beat" goes down pretty quickly.

I hope the above doesn't sound mean, but I feel like that's just how it is.

I've thought about this too. At least, I first started thinking about it after attending some practice sessions and seeing the vast differences in interviewing styles/skills among candidates.

But then I realize that I will just feel even worse if I'm unsuccessful lol. Also, for MMI interviews, I feel like there's a significant amount of cohort variation. Like if you're divided into groups of 12 for an interview, and you're being scored compared to the other 11 people in your group, a lot of your final result will be based on the interview skills of your specific group. A group that constitutes 2% of the total interviewees can easily be skewed imo. Maybe I'm just bitter because I feel like my group was super amazing, as opposed to just the amazing that characterizes the average interviewee. :P For sure, not a single one of them appeared to have any of the auto-weakening characteristics in your list. (And I could identify a few people who DID seem to have these characteristics, who were not in my group)

I guess it just goes back to so much of this process coming down to luck. Kinda unfortunate.

Well, the way I see it, if you can behave well enough and be sociable enough at the interview to get in, you will be fine when interacting with patients/colleagues. Does it really matter if someone is grumpy and antisocial in their personal life if they are able to tone it down at work? I don't think so.

Yes, once in a while, someone may slip through by completely faking it in the interview, but I think that's harder to do than a lot of people think.

2 hours, especially in a stressful MMI situation, is a long time to fake a personality completely different than your own.

MMI is very stressful and surprisingly really probed out who I am as a person.

That said, I'm a pretty simple minded--hobbit folk. I don't deny that some people may be extremely good at faking it.

Not only the patients. The doctor also runs an office that is a social setting. The time spent with co-worker is not short chunks of time.

and that's why the admissions process continues to evolve. It would be nice if the admission committees could just read our minds--much like UWO's VERITAS--but I don't think that's happening anytime soon.

MMI is very stressful and surprisingly really probed out who I am as a person.

That said, I'm a pretty simple minded--hobbit folk. I don't deny that some people may be extremely good at faking it.

and that's why the admissions process continues to evolve. It would be nice if the admission committees could just read our minds--much like UWO's VERITAS--but I don't think that's happening anytime soon.

Can you explain more about UWO's VERITAS?

Can you explain more about UWO's VERITAS?

So VERITAS was the short film UWO made this year for the MMIs. In the film, a student was interviewed by taking the interviewer through her mind--through some futuristic device.

Study break ->

and noo. I don't work for UWO publicity haha.

So VERITAS was the short film UWO made this year for the MMIs. In the film, a student was interviewed by taking the interviewer through her mind--through some futuristic device.

Study break ->

and noo. I don't work for UWO publicity haha.

Is it like a Polygraph?:D How was that kind of interview going, good?

Well as the plot goes. Okay, creepy, okay, all of a sudden very very bad, then all is well. She got the last seat in the class--or so the audience assumes.

WOW! Looks like a more harder process than the traditioal interview process. Will this be trend for all other schools in future?

Been checking this forum around 100 times a day haha. Obsessed? Sure, but May 15th cannot come fast enough. Not sure if it's just me but I feel that somehow reading every post here from now till may 15th will help me with the stress of waiting haha. Going from confident to unsure on a daily basis. I just hope everyone gets their emails around May 15th. Any other date would be agonizing...

It didn't used to! I think we're conditioned to think that if we didn't have interviews, we'd have all kinds of doctors with terrible social skills. I wonder if that is actually true though?

Or maybe it was just less competitive back then, and they didn't need the extra factor to separate people.

I think it used to be much more about who you knew, who you were, who your father was.

Been checking this forum around 100 times a day haha. Obsessed? Sure, but May 15th cannot come fast enough. Not sure if it's just me but I feel that somehow reading every post here from now till may 15th will help me with the stress of waiting haha. Going from confident to unsure on a daily basis. I just hope everyone gets their emails around May 15th. Any other date would be agonizing...

Gah me too. I got hit by sudden anxiety late last week. It went away fastbut not very pleasant. I think the whole process has reduced my lifespan by a few years.

That's the sense of community kicking in haha. Just knowing that there are others just as unsure as you are about the entire process online makes waiting a little better :)

Oh. I had a prof like that. We had lay translation assignments that in total was worth 40% of our final grade. On the first assignment I got a 60% and for some unfathomable reason, I got a 95% on the second assignment. So I was like.. uhmm what happened here? Oh well, I'll gladly take it!

My exam today is for an Chemistry interest course. Although I haven't been really paying much attention this semester so that's kind of burning me now haha. How's exam prep coming for you?

Archived