Premed 101 Forums

When a university says they don't have elective spots

Sooo, according to my career counselor, Western isn't accepting anymore elective students?

I hear this happens yearly at western - any advice from others on how to deal with this situation? I was hoping to book an IM elective there.

Who do you guys contact to plead for elective spots! ie the elective office or specific personnel?

Thanks!!

Sooo, according to my career counselor, Western isn't accepting anymore elective students?

I hear this happens yearly at western - any advice from others on how to deal with this situation? I was hoping to book an IM elective there.

Who do you guys contact to plead for elective spots! ie the elective office or specific personnel?

Thanks!!

Look on their website... last I checked, they said they are no longer accepting applications between Sept and Dec. I believe they will still accept applications for January and later. If you were hoping between Sept and Dec... then there isn't much you can do.

Look on their website... last I checked, they said they are no longer accepting applications between Sept and Dec. I believe they will still accept applications for January and later. If you were hoping between Sept and Dec... then there isn't much you can do.

Yup! Western is definitely full :P i sent my application in anyways but they rejected.

When I was a med student I applied for an elective at a particular school (Not UWO). They said they were full. I then contacted the residency program director explaining my situation and my curiosity in their program. A spot was found for me that same day.

Programs are motivated to get the best applicants in their programs. They want to see good medical students rotate through as much as you want an elective. You may find that bypassing the MedEd bureaucracy and going straight to the programs provides greater success. No guarantee this will land you a spot but it probably can't hurt you.

Archived