Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisters Unite! - Wait List Movement etc.

Thought that I would start a thread on the wait list, as it seems that most of the people who have decided to post in the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted thread are on it.

Not sure how it has worked in previous years but I envisioned this as a place were we can discuss movement, positions, plans for dropping off the list etc.

To start things off, I'm at position #24, and although I don't hold more than a sliver of hope that the list will move that far I would certainly accept if given the chance.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at #10. This is my first time applying to NOSM so I never had the opportunity to follow such a discussion in the past. Based on previous years, what are reasonable expectations from the waiting list? Is there a "magic" number that determines if you are most likely to get an offer?

Thank you in advance for any information and good luck to all other applicants who were waitlisted.

Hey, I was on the waitlist last year so I, like you, was looking into this so I'll share what I was able to find. The least amount of movement that the wait list at NOSM has moved is 12 spots which was 2 cycles ago. So at 10, although nothing is guaranteed, your odds are pretty good. Last year the wait list moved through 19 people (ie: number 19 was the last to get in). In years before that I've only heard info from the forum but it seems it's normally in the high teens to low twenties range. Good luck! and remember to post if you get an offer to let others know that the list is moving.

Hey, I was on the waitlist last year so I, like you, was looking into this so I'll share what I was able to find. The least amount of movement that the wait list at NOSM has moved is 12 spots which was 2 cycles ago. So at 10, although nothing is guaranteed, your odds are pretty good. Last year the wait list moved through 19 people (ie: number 19 was the last to get in). In years before that I've only heard info from the forum but it seems it's normally in the high teens to low twenties range. Good luck! and remember to post if you get an offer to let others know that the list is moving.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. One of the reasons I asked is because someone approached me to buy my house yesterday, which in my town's economical situation is almost a miracle. I'd hate to lose such an opportunity, but I'd hate even more to be on the street because I didn't get accepted.

I'll keep this thread updated on my situation, so others can benefit from the shared information.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. One of the reasons I asked is because someone approached me to buy my house yesterday, which in my town's economical situation is almost a miracle. I'd hate to lose such an opportunity, but I'd hate even more to be on the street because I didn't get accepted.

I'll keep this thread updated on my situation, so others can benefit from the shared information.

I would ask them if they would be willing to wait until late May/early June for you to be able to let them know if your place is for sale or not. I wouldn't advise selling your house before you have an actual admission offer. That being said, if I were you, I'd be ecstatic! You are very likely to receive an offer in the next few weeks (based on the wait list trends at NOSM in previous years) :)

I would ask them if they would be willing to wait until late May/early June for you to be able to let them know if your place is for sale or not. I wouldn't advise selling your house before you have an actual admission offer. That being said, if I were you, I'd be ecstatic! You are very likely to receive an offer in the next few weeks (based on the wait list trends at NOSM in previous years) :)

Thank you, I am ecstatic! I already told the person that the sale was conditional to getting an admission offer.

For those who are wondering I've done some deeper digging. There aren't a lot of waitlist posts but from what I can gather this has been the movement for the past while

2013: 20

2012: 12 (?)

2011:29

2010:19

2009 and previous: seems like low to mid-twenties was common (2005 it went to #24)

I actually had a question for Bikekp in the other thread if they are around. When do you find out about U of C. I'd also say position #5 is a good as accepted, but would you take it over U of C?

UofC waitlist could be whenever, up to July 24th. My friend got in to UofC and they have until May 31st to respond, so anytime after that I would say. They send them in batches. And I'm still not totally sure if I would choose UofC or NOSM. I'm leaning more towards UofC as it is closer to home and I already have a good mentorship network set up there.

I feel we will get an update email this Tuesday - hopefully the list has moved at least 5 spots by now. Then 1 week after that is the final email update where you will have a very good idea on the finalized movement of the list.

According to the waitlist e-mail the first actual update on waitlist movement will be May 27th or later. I think it likely there will be waitlist movement next week, though that's speculation.

I feel we will get an update email this Tuesday - hopefully the list has moved at least 5 spots by now. Then 1 week after that is the final email update where you will have a very good idea on the finalized movement of the list.

From previous years it looks like the wait list moves all the way until the end of June, albeit fairly slowly. Nothing is final until we get the e-mail from NOSM saying that the class is full.

Hey everyone, just thought I would let you all know that the waitlist is moving, got an acceptance e-mail this morning!

might be helpful to state what position you were here, so that waitlisters can get an idea of how much movement your offer represents.

If youve posted it nearby and I missed it, my apologies...

oh and congrats on the offer!

might be helpful to state what position you were here, so that waitlisters can get an idea of how much movement your offer represents.

If youve posted it nearby and I missed it, my apologies...

oh and congrats on the offer!

Thanks! I was in the top 5 of those waitlisted, good luck everyone else!

Archived