Premed 101 Forums

If you don't get accepted this year, what are your plans?

Guest DonaldKaufman

Guest DonaldKaufman

Hi,

I've been asked this question at 2 of the 3 med school interviews that I've had. I basically gave the "keep working at ______ (fill in name of job here). I think my work there is important and worthwhile because _______, and I'll apply again next year because I am certain that a career in medicine is right for me because___________" answer. Not very original, but it was true.

This year, I'm a year older. I wouldn't consider myself a mature applicant, but I'm not fresh out of my undergrad degree by any means either. I'm really considering applying to one of the Caribbean med schools for enrollment in Jan. if I don't get accepted in Canada in this cycle. I have a long-term girlfriend who is American, and I've lived in the US for 1.5 years (I live in Canada now), so I wouldn't mind being 'stuck' in the US after I graduate as an IMG. However, I would definitely prefer to attend med school in Canada and don't have any concrete plans for leaving the country if I were to graduate from a Canadian med school.

So, my question is this: Should I tell my interviewers this answer? Or do you think that it might be viewed in a negative light?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

DK

Guest coastal79

Last year I applied to only one school and didn't get accepted. This year I am applying to 7. However, like you, I am considering going abroad next year if I don't get in this year, although not to the Carribean. In large part this is because I am a travelholic, but that is a different story. Bottomline, there is no way I will tell interviewers that I'll be going somewhere else next year if I don't get in this year. Since this is the first year that I have applied to numerous schools across the country, they would obviously view me as relatively uncommitted to staying in Canada.

However, I will tell them that after this year I will try once more in Canada, and then look elsewhere as well because medicine is really the only career that I really want to do, and I'm not one to settle. I am very confident that I will get in in other countries, including the US, should I apply. Furthermore, I don't think interviewers would view my stance as overly cocky, and I can't see myself getting penalized for it. The reality is that there are other options besides Canada for those who don't get in-they just require taking on a heck of alot more debt!!!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I agree with the above poster, that many interviewers will probably opt not to penalize you if you give an honest answer to this question. Furthermore, from my own experience speaking with Admissions people on this issue, many recommend a broad approach to admissions and view it as a realistic perspective and practical approach for applicants applying to medical schools these days. I doubt that many Admissions folks expect an applicant to take their chances and apply to one school and one school only, given the competitiveness of contemporary medical school admissions.

Along the same lines of the above argument, although you may not wish to offer up all the details of Caribbean applications as they apply to your life, I doubt that it would hurt you if it arose during the interview that you had at least investigated options in other countries. If nothing else, it's best not to try to avoid the issue or fabricate the truth if someone asks you whether you've done some sniffing in foreign options. In terms of this issue, a little tented honesty would probably be your wisest choice and would demonstrate an ability to think realistically and practically. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Adamanda

I have fortunately been offered a full time position at sick kids to continue my thesis if I do not get into med school.. and plan on working for a year to save $$ and apply again for 2005. do you think this is an ok answer??

Guest Adamanda

mydream88

I am a clinical engineering masters student. I am doing my thesis with medical informatics deot evaluating their new Electronic Patient Chart

Several of the more senior faculty that teach in first year at UWO (and also interview) also teach at several of the Carribean med schools for several months of the year... I have never heard anything negative said about the schools or the students that attend them. The faculty at UWO are very aware that there are significantly more well qualified students applying to Canadian schools than there are seats...and those that don't get in are not necessarily 'bad' candidiates. They know that the people that end up in the Carribean because they can't get in here are also 'worthy' of a career in medicine...

From my perspective, the "what will you do if you don't get in" question is to find out how committed you are to studying medicine... saying that you would apply again next year or be willing to shell out that kind of $$ to study out of country, I don't think would be 'damaging' to your score...however, saying that you have also applied to dentistry, chiropractic, law, optometry, veterinary medicine and an MBA program and you are confident that you will get into one of them would not be looked upon as favourably... this shows that you are principally interested in medicine because of either its 'professional' status or $$$ that you will make at the end...both of which will not get you a great deal of points...

Guest DonaldKaufman

I just wanted to thank everyone for their very helpful replies! I think that being forthcoming with my intentions of looking internationally for medical school enrollment if I don't get accepted in Canada this year will make me appear dedicated to a career in medicine, if nothing else. Hopefully this entire issue ends up being irrelevant for me though.

Archived