Premed 101 Forums

International conference

Arttomed

Hi everyone

I was fortunate to have my research project accepted in an international conference. now I have a question,I can either do oral presentation or poster presentation. for oral presentation I need to pay around 400$ more to register. I wanted to know does it worth it in regards to my application or poster presentation is as good as panel one.

Thanks a lot :)

Oral presentation is certainly more helpful for application than poster. However, we have never heard of any case where you need to pay more for oral presentation (in 50+ conferences). You are selected for oral presentation usually because of the relatively higher quality of your research/abstract. This sounds sketchy...

Hi everyone

I was fortunate to have my research project accepted in an international conference. now I have a question,I can either do oral presentation or poster presentation. for oral presentation I need to pay around 400$ more to register. I wanted to know does it worth it in regards to my application or poster presentation is as good as panel one.

Oral presentation is certainly more helpful for application than poster. However, we have never heard of any case where you need to pay more for oral presentation (in 50+ conferences). You are selected for oral presentation usually because of the relatively higher quality of your research/abstract. This sounds sketchy...

Agreed, sketch. Quality of the work should determine oral vs poster.

Agreed, sketch. Quality of the work should determine oral vs poster.

I think the problem is when small conferences start calling themselves "International".

Seems more like a cash-grab to me. My honest opinion is that at the international level, there are probably only one or two big conferences recognized in each field. These are the conferences where researchers, scientists, profs, etc in these field attend and try to showcase their research.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone

Do a talk if you can afford it because it will certainly look better on an application. I find it very strange that they would charge you extra to give a talk, though. I've given over 10 talks at international conferences and there has never been a separate charge for giving a talk vs. giving a poster; all you should be paying for as a student is the conference registration fee.

Oh, and by the way, if you were solicited to give a talk at a conference in China without having submitted any kind of an abstract then it's probably only semi-legit. I get emails for those all the time, and you should ignore them.

Archived