Premed 101 Forums

How to handle interview questions

Guest canstowski

Guest canstowski

I was just wondering, if you were given a yes/no question such as

Do you think its ethical for doctor to strike

Do you answer firmly with confident with either a yes or no answer or would you bring up both cases and then give opinion on either one.

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi canstowski,

You're permitted to have an opinion in interviews, even when it comes to ethics. The principle of justice is often involved in ethical scenarios, i.e., what is just not only for the patient, but also, for the doctor; therefore the doctor's personal leanings definitely count.

It would probably be positive, however, to show that you can think of the larger frame of reference in which the question sits and be able to demonstrate that you understand both sides of the issue, and perhaps then add (if you have an opinion either way) what you would feel comfortable doing. In this case, for example, when I read the question I thought of those doctors who did strike a couple of decades ago when extra billing was under the guillotine (I knew at least one of them and understood his reasons for it), but also the issue of Canadians' feeling that healthcare is virtually a "fundamental right" and as such doctors fill a necessary function within that milieu that is pretty much non-negotiable (at this time).

Personally, if I were a doctor, knowing my own patients personally, and knowing the type of harm that could become of them if I didn't work, I don't think I'd necessarily be comfortable walking out on strike. I don't think I'd be able to sleep well if any repercussions did result.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UOMeds05

I agree with Kirsteen, I don't think that you would ever be expected to answer simply yes or no to probably ANY question in your interview.

I think that there is merit to be able to first recognize both sides of the story, but than forming an opinion by choosing one of the sides. Afterall, that was their question in the first place. I would just avoid being too affirmative in any one way, without looking like you are sitting on the fence.

It may be safer to not answer in a yes-or-no style especially when you don't know how the interviewer stands in these issues as many doctors had been involved in these strike action. It must have been their last straw considering their ethical barriers. Personally, I don't see how strike can help to resolve their issues.

I personally would give an answer for either yes or no and then state my reasons WHY....of course you should also mention why people would feel that the other side was valid and how you can defend your answer against their points. The reason WHY is more important than your answer. They will be looking to see that you can form and defend an opinion and that you are also capable of seeing others arguments...they may challenge your answer to see if you will cave in under pressure....

You don't want to waffle and not commit to either side....shows that you are indecisive....dependent on others to make decisions for you and are willing to follow the crowd rather then act on your own...not good traits to show if you ask me.

I was wondering how long a pause is acceptable/normal between when a question is asked and when you begin to answer? I realize some questions require more thought than others...but it is expected that we take time to think things through? thanks

Guest shutterbug

Most of the questions require more than a single word (or sentence) answer.

So, I think it would be good if you discussed your reasoning (ie thoughts) while you were thinking about them...as long as you stay coherent! It woould shed light on your thought process and show that you can logically discuss many sides of an issue. It would also reinforce your position on whatever the topic was.

That said, you don't want to let anything slip out that you might regret later.

Archived