Premed 101 Forums

Ethical Dilemma--Authorship Removal

bclionsfan

Hello Everyone,

If the corresponding author of a paper (or the first author), forgot to include someone in the paper, does anyone know what generally happens if they wanted to fix it?

My initial searches on other academic forums suggest that: a) the paper gets retracted, B) all the authors sign on to agree to let the author who was left off back on, and c) gets republished in the next issue without any problems(?)

I was involved in a small theoretical physics paper with about 17 authors that I should've been part of. The person who submitted the paper just--but I will obviously double check with them about it.

p.s- the paper was recently published online, not officially printed. 3 labs at 2 different universities worked on this technical physics project, and there was simply an administrative accident of not including me --I should've been more proactive but it was submitted around exam time

thanks a bunch!

I might be wrong, I don't see the moral dilemma behind the issue. It may or may not have been a mistake (I imagine it was). Regardless, you should contact the proper authorities in the situation your name back on. You deserve it!

thanks for your opinion.

I just hope everyone doesn't see it as "oh, it's a low impact journal, and we're going through all of this hassle" kind of thing

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived