Premed 101 Forums

Are epidemiological research considered "research" in the traditional sense?

daftypatty

I am interested in pursuing a clinical epidemiology research on global health, but I was just wondering how medical schools would view such research endeavors; would it still be considered "research" in the traditional sense? (ala molecular biology/biochem with test tubes and what not). I just wouldn't want med schools to look less favorably on the research just because it is an epidemiological research

Note: it would be more of a social science research on evaluating health politics, systems, etc. 

I had the misconception before as well that basic science research > clinical research in terms of applying to medical school. After working in clinical research for 3 years, I now realize that both types of research are essential to medicine, and most (if not every) doctor I've talked to agrees with that notion.

No adcom would put one type of research over the other. What MAY make a difference is the publications you get out of it. I personally think it's easier to publish in clinical research over basic sciences.

Regardless, you will not be at a disadvantage for pursuing that type of research vs. basic sciences research. 

Any research has value to medicine, especially at the pre-med stage. Not too many people will be doing the exact same type of research when they get into medicine as they did before, so the subject itself isn't all that important. It's the skills and knowledge of the process that are far more valuable, because they translate to not just doing research in other fields, but also into properly understanding research.

Keep in mind that most physicians do clinical research, while PhD's are the ones doing more of the basic sciences research. That's an overgeneralization - there's plenty of cross-over - but it'd be silly for med schools to care more about the test tubes and lab stuff than the working with patients stuff, since working with patients is kinda what we do  :P

Archived