Premed 101 Forums

Group Studying Techniques- What Exactly Should We Do Together?

I know this question is going to vary somewhat by course. But for a bio type class like anatomy & physiology, what should the group do when we meet? I was thinking we could make up questions based off the material then quiz each other on it. But aside from that and going over questions about confusing material, I'm sort of lost as what we should do as a group. My studying usually just consists of me reading my notes over and doing practice questions. Kind of pointless to do those two things in a group, no?

Also feel free to post about group studying techniques for any type of class! Just list the class in your post

Making questions for each other is always useful. In addition to what you said:

What worked really well for my group was having an hour of 'silent study' followed by an hour of 'let's quiz each other'. This way, we got the review we needed in silent time and then challenged that knowledge during the quiz hour. Believe it or not, there were days where I did this for up to 9 hours. Of course, it's not exactly 1 hour each, but you and your friends get a feel for the amount of time needed. If you're getting bored of studying alone, just ask "Wanna quiz?"

I cannot stress how important having a good group of friends to study with. Good as in they are focused. I experimented with different groups and I can honestly say the vast majority were largely a waste of my time- people get distracted and will distract you as a consequence. A good study partner will spur you to study and, if they're gonna slack, they'll at least do it quietly (and without telling you) so that you can continue on.

Assuming you're at UBC, this was effective for CAPS 301, BIOL 201, and BIOC 302. In anatomy, where its largely memorization, it is a lot easier to study solo compared to biochem or physiology. If you're gonna do anatomy in a group, then go for memory based questions and really nitpick the details.

Oh, and a good whiteboard/chalkboard is essential for effective group studying.

Making questions for each other is always useful. In addition to what you said:

What worked really well for my group was having an hour of 'silent study' followed by an hour of 'let's quiz each other'. This way, we got the review we needed in silent time and then challenged that knowledge during the quiz hour. Believe it or not, there were days where I did this for up to 9 hours. Of course, it's not exactly 1 hour each, but you and your friends get a feel for the amount of time needed. If you're getting bored of studying alone, just ask "Wanna quiz?"

I cannot stress how important having a good group of friends to study with. Good as in they are focused. I experimented with different groups and I can honestly say the vast majority were largely a waste of my time- people get distracted and will distract you as a consequence. A good study partner will spur you to study and, if they're gonna slack, they'll at least do it quietly (and without telling you) so that you can continue on.

Assuming you're at UBC, this was effective for CAPS 301, BIOL 201, and BIOC 302. In anatomy, where its largely memorization, it is a lot easier to study solo compared to biochem or physiology. If you're gonna do anatomy in a group, then go for memory based questions and really nitpick the details.

Oh, and a good whiteboard/chalkboard is essential for effective group studying.

just curious, you said anatomy is largely memorization, but biochem and physiology it isnt as easy to study alone. why is this? i'm assuming biochem and physiology aren't memorization type? what is their "type"? i've never taken these classes so i wouldn't know. they aren't problem solving classes like math and physics are they? how would you categorize it and describe it? just wondering because i will be taking those classes in the future

Studying in groups is particularly helpful once you've already done some independent studying or prep beforehand. Concepts you've learned well enough to explain/clarify/teach to someone else will solidify themselves that much better. I find that group work is especially helpful for sharing resources and for filling in any gaps in my knowledge. 

Don't get me wrong, physiology and biochemistry both have a lot to memorize as well, but they also include problem-solving. For example, in biochemistry, there are quite a few questions where you need to calculate the ATP that is generated by the metabolism of a molecule. It's important to memorize the steps (such as oxidation) that would yield X number ATP. On the real test, they will ask about a new molecule that you haven't seen before, or maybe a hypothetical disease where one enzyme isn't functional and then you need to calculate the ATP. These kinds of questions really test your knowledge and only those that really know their stuff will get them.

Physiology and biochem can be studied solo, but I found it much easier in a group. It depends on your learning style, I suppose.

Archived