Premed 101 Forums

Is A 3 Year Degree Less Advantageous Than A 4 Year Degree?

Just wondering if 20-21 year old applicants are disadvantaged somewhat through the application process.

Would you guys recommend a 4 year degree? If I were to graduate with a 3 year degree, can I come back for a year and fill the requirements for a 4 year degree?

Just wondering if 20-21 year old applicants are disadvantaged somewhat through the application process.

Would you guys recommend a 4 year degree? If I were to graduate with a 3 year degree, can I come back for a year and fill the requirements for a 4 year degree?

You need a 4-years degree? Are there bachelors that last less than 4 years (outside of Quebec)?

You can apply to University of Manitoba with a three-year degree, but generally this does not allow any room for mistakes (ie. a few bad grades) because up to 90 credits, no grades are dropped. However, other universities may require a 4-year degree, so if you are planning to apply elsewhere, you should look into that. I personally would not really advocate for a 3-year degree.

You can apply to University of Manitoba with a three-year degree, but generally this does not allow any room for mistakes (ie. a few bad grades) because up to 90 credits, no grades are dropped. However, other universities may require a 4-year degree, so if you are planning to apply elsewhere, you should look into that. I personally would not really advocate for a 3-year degree.

I think they drop 15 credit hours for a 3 year degree vs 30 for a 4 year degree.

I think they drop 15 credit hours for a 3 year degree vs 30 for a 4 year degree.

No it doesn't matter if you have a 3-year or a 4-year. They don't even take that into account. Only benefit of 4-year is that because you have more credit hours they drop more courses.

When you are applying as a 3rd year applicant and you have less than 90 cr hours. No credits are dropped in the calculation of your AGPA. When you send the unofficial copy of your final transcript in May, U of M recalculates your AGPA for the offers that are sent out in June. Because at this point you now have 90 cr hours, 15 cr hours will be dropped.

So to conclude, no it does NOT matter if you have a 3-year or a 4-year.

Archived