Premed 101 Forums

In the middle of my third rads elective now, and realizing how incredibly difficult it is to get a strong letter during these electives. Spending at max 2 (non-consecutive) days with any one particular staff because of scheduling, and at bigger centers I've generally wound up being put with the fellow or resident and only see the staff at readouts.

I have two solid rads letters from my home institution, people who I've worked with on research projects and shadowed for almost 2 years. I'm thinking about using these letters (plus one from a surgeon I worked with in clerkship) for most schools, unless there's someone obvious who I work with more often in the next couple of electives who I could ask. 

How important is a local letter to an application? I know in one of the other threads someone drew the analogy of having family or friends recommend something (local letter) vs. reading a review online (letter from another institution), but I keep feeling that even if I manage to get a "strong" letter from someone at other schools, it will pale in comparison and may in fact be damning by faint praise. Any thoughts/experience? I would say the rest of my application is average...good clinical evaluations during clerkship, some research and average marks (we use Pass/Fail). 

rads people know how hard it is to get a letter and if so even how hard it is on top of that to get a good one - what do they really know about you in 2 weeks, let alone the 4 hours you can spend with them watching them work. Answer -> nothing.

Strong letters from local rads and also clinical rotations in surgery or internal medicine carry a lot of weight as a result. Weak local letters are just that - weak letters.

This is from conversations with multiple rads program directors. I mean if you can get a good letter from the centre of course get one but really it isn't expected.

How important is a local letter to an application? I know in one of the other threads someone drew the analogy of having family or friends recommend something (local letter) vs. reading a review online (letter from another institution),

This sounds like something I might have said - however, the key here is recommendation (i.e. word of mouth), not necessarily a written LOR.

In my opinion, a local letter is not at all necessary. I did just fine in the match without them. Aim to get strong letters period.

Don't discount your time with the residents. If they like you and/or think highly of you, they'll vouch for you in the match. The flip side of that is obviously true as well.

Archived