Premed 101 Forums

Program Director Influence On Selection?

How much influence/role does a program director play in the acceptance process? If you had a bad clinical experience with the program director, how will that affect your chances even if everyone else you've worked with in that program thinks you're much better than the average applicant?

Thanks for your thoughts!

So some douche PD doesn't like you....  

It might affect your chances, but it shouldn't effect how you rank.  

Nothing except your own preferences should ever effect how you rank. If you know how the algorithm works then it is clear that the the optimal solution is always to rank the programs in order of your preferences without exception. How likely it is that you get a particular location is entirely irrelevant :)

Truth is there is a lot of variability in how selection is done. No one can be sure how exactly the process works for a particular program unless they are the PD or the inner circle. Rule of thumb is anyone involved in any way can basically veto your application - just to remind you to be on your toes at all times. I mean any one - PD, staff, residents, admins etc.

It is not something you can control, so don't let it influence how you rank that program.

From my own experience on the other side of the table, anybody on the selection committee can raise a red flag about you.  I've seen applicants who were brilliant on paper go down in flames because they made inappropriate remarks to the admin assistant, for instance.  It's mind-boggling the stupid things people do.

On the other hand, I've had staff who I thought hated me clinically go to bat for me (in non CaRMS circumstances)  because they actually liked me and were just pushing me really hard.  You sometimes just don't know,  which brings me back to my first point -- don't let what you think the PD thinks about you influence how you rank the program.

There is no general answer to this question, as it would depend completely on the clinical situation, personality, group dynamics, discussion, etc. I understand you're looking for reassurance, but as the others have said, it's not always straightforward to tell what people think of us (unless you ask for a reference), and all you can do is to put your best foot forward from now on (if there was some mistake or error of judgment, you could try to clear the air).

As an aside, it may be a blessing of sorts to not end up at a place where you don't have great chemistry with the PD - you will be going to them regularly for references over the course of your residency, particularly if it's someone at the beginning of their term as PD...

Archived