Premed 101 Forums

Is Oakland Not Canadian Friendly Any More?

MD2B2019

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine is a newest MD school outside of Detroit in Michigan State. Through school's website, 1st class (2015) no student from Canadian university, 2nd and 3rd they have students from McGill, uOttawa and Western Ontario, 4th class (2018, last cycle) no one from Canadian university, their 4 classes average LizzyM scores is less than 68 every year(GPA at 3.6x, MCAT at 30 or 31).

Link to Oakland https://www.oakland.edu/?id=30237&sid=340

My LizzyM scores is 75+, from an AAU university, last cycle interviewed by two Ontario MD schools, this cycle already get two interviews from AMCAS schools, since my first choice is OMSAS schools, I only applied to handful schools from AMCAS, Oakland is considered the lower tier MD schools on my list and just rejected me, make me sad and wondering is Oakland not Canadian friendly MD school any more?

Some US MD schools only interview people who are in their range of LizzyM. Oakland thinks that you are likely to get interviews/offesr from other higher tier schools (btw congrats on your CW interview) so even if Oakland gives you an offer, you are unlikely to attend it in the end. Your LizzyM score is simply too high.

Some US MD schools only interview people who are in their range of LizzyM. Oakland thinks that you are likely to get interviews/offesr from other higher tier schools (btw congrats on your CW interview) so even if Oakland gives you an offer, you are unlikely to attend it in the end. Your LizzyM score is simply too high.

It's true that some schools do this. Especially DO school.

Thanks. I don't think Oakland should reject me before interview because my LizzyM is too high for them.

Actually I don't mind go to Oakland for my MD if I didn't get into other MD schools like last cycle.

Congrats on the cycle, I'm curious, what are your stats like?

High MCAT(no less than 12 each section), OK GPA, LizzyM scores 77.3

annoying but it takes a lot of time and effort to vete a candidate so often they simply feel it is a waste of their time to interview you.

Same reason they wouldn't interview a phD in computer science for a tech job - even if the phD actually really, really would like the job etc. It is possible in a sense to be over qualified.

Considering how the US system works the fact that you are excluded is probably a good thing. If that is what is going on it is a strange but real complement :)

It's not anymore. I quote from their website: "Preference is given to U.S. citizens and permanent residentsresidents"

Preferenc means Oakland likes American over Canadian, right?

Let's say 5 LizzyM score to compensate that, should Canadian with LizzyM score 73+ and good ECs get a fair interview chance?

Is there anyone applied Oakland this or last cycle? Please post your stats and result here, so we can know Oakland is Canadian friendly or not? Thanks.

Preferenc means Oakland like American over Canadian, right?

Let's say 5 LizzyM score to compensate that, should Canadian with LizzyM score 73+ and good ECs get a fair interview chance?

Is there anyone applied Oakland this or last cycle? Please post your stats and result here, so we can know Oakland is Canadian friendly or not? Thanks.

i was rejected LM ~75

Archived