Premed 101 Forums

Latest Carms Applicants Can Ask For Lor

Hello, just wanted to ask what people feel is the least amount of time that is reasonable to allow referees to write LOR. I imagine that this would be referee-dependent, but I have heard that 1 month before the deadline is roughly what some applicants feel comfortable giving for courtesy. I didn't really think about this before and I'm kinda of kicking myself now for how I planned my elective schedule. Would 2 weeks before the deadline be offensive? My understanding is that carms continues to accept reference letters, but can not guarantee that hardcopy letters will be scanned in time for the unmasking in early December.

2 weeks is cutting it close but could be fine. You mean finishing the elective 2 weeks before December due date for CARMS?. If you talk to your supervisor early in the elective (say the first week at some point) about hoping for a reference letter then they can start it earlier or at least be paying more attention for good things to say about you throughout the elective. I would have an extra back up letter from another supervisor in case you can't make this last letter happen. Also, your elective supervisor can upload the letter to carms directly online (rather than mailing it in) so it would be on your file like a minute after they submit it.

In our year, the deadline for electronic LORs was December 2nd with hard copies due November 21st.  I asked for my last letter around November 10th and my preceptor was reluctant to write it because she said it was a very short time frame.  Luckily she really liked me and I emphasized how much I wanted the program and she was glad to get it done.

If it's a late elective, I would mention to your preceptor within the first few days that you are hoping for a letter and see how they respond.

Earlier better than later, although I asked my preceptor for a reference on December 1st and she totally submitted it December 2nd 11:58pm. So it depends on how much anxiety you want to handle :)!!

I cannot handle that much anxiety :) I would never go into a final elective if I could all avoid it needing a LOR from that elective. Just too risky

Archived