Premed 101 Forums

Dat Carving

Hi guys,

So i did my first carving yesterday (the one in the booklet) and.. it is disgusting. my angles are bad, i chopped off a little piece, it took me 30min just to do the lines and the whole things, although really bad, took me more than 1 hour. 

So basically.. how many practices did you guys do before becoming better?  how many soap did you used total? Also, do you have a website with carving exemple?

Thanks! :)

its rather difficult to get a perfect bar the first time around. The skill comes with practice. dont worry about the time just get the technique down before you try to do it under timed conditions. I myself did 3 packs of soaps for my test but the skill was pretty much present during the second pack. third pack was just repetition. good luck.

i probably did 25-30 soaps. there is a guy on youtube who does a carve from start to finish. its good to watching someone who knows what they are doing. also get feedback from people you know who did well on the dat before. feedback is essential to getting better.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother just wrote the DAT with me for his second time. The first time we wrote the DAT, he did approx 30 soaps and failed by getting a 13.

The second time he wrote it, he did about 60 soaps and ended up getting 29 (the 99th percentile).

Practice makes perfect - my cousin did dental school at the UofA and he only did 6 soaps and got a 25, people in his class did 100 soaps and got 25... It doesn't matter. Spend the money on the soaps and practice!

I suggest that you do many soaps in this general pattern:

-Start off by NOT timing yourself and just take your time and try to perfect the soap - do about 5-10 soaps like this (different designs)

-Then time yourself and keep the accuracy. (DON'T RUSH! IDGAF if you time yourself doing 1 soap an hour! Focus on accuracy)

-Then time yourself and try to get the soap done in about 30 mins

-About 1-2 weeks before the DAT, you should be carving quality soaps and try to finish in approx 25-28 mins... 

On the test day, you will be jittery and shaking/nervous. This last step of finishing quicker than 30 mins will help you on exam day

Good luck

My brother just wrote the DAT with me for his second time. The first time we wrote the DAT, he did approx 30 soaps and failed by getting a 13.

The second time he wrote it, he did about 60 soaps and ended up getting 29 (the 99th percentile).

Practice makes perfect - my cousin did dental school at the UofA and he only did 6 soaps and got a 25, people in his class did 100 soaps and got 25... It doesn't matter. Spend the money on the soaps and practice!

I suggest that you do many soaps in this general pattern:

-Start off by NOT timing yourself and just take your time and try to perfect the soap - do about 5-10 soaps like this (different designs)

-Then time yourself and keep the accuracy. (DON'T RUSH! IDGAF if you time yourself doing 1 soap an hour! Focus on accuracy)

-Then time yourself and try to get the soap done in about 30 mins

-About 1-2 weeks before the DAT, you should be carving quality soaps and try to finish in approx 25-28 mins... 

On the test day, you will be jittery and shaking/nervous. This last step of finishing quicker than 30 mins will help you on exam day

Good luck

Great advice!

I personally did about 20 soaps (15 of them the week before the DAT) and ended up with a 26. I think it's all about practice and finding the right technique. I was lucky to find a way that worked for me and it allow me to go from a 10-15 to 25+. 

Archived