Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa Interview Discussion 2015

I would say that the bigger issue would be whether they felt you were being dishonest on your application. If you were decent in your French answer, that would not be a concern because they really didn't elaborate on what level of French they were looking for. If, however, it was clear that you had very little French experience and checked "both" anyway, that would be problematic. 

Thanks for the info. I am from Quebec, so I do have basic knowledge, just made some errors in my response. I am hoping they do not think I was dishonest. I guess we shall see. They did not ask the level of French in the application, correct?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. I am from Quebec, so I do have basic knowledge, just made some errors in my response. I am hoping they do not think I was dishonest. I guess we shall see. They did not ask the level of French in the application, correct?

Correct. You just had to pick "Both" under Languages Spoken in OMSAS. I don't think it's a big deal if you made a few errors. My French isn't perfect either, but I was able to answer the question, and the interviewer even responded by saying my French was good. So, making mistakes won't kill you! :) One important thing I've learned in my experience with French is not being afraid to make mistakes when speaking it out loud - the important thing is to communicate to the best of your knowledge and you'll keep improving. As the French would say, ne t'inquiète pas! 

I would say that the bigger issue would be whether they felt you were being dishonest on your application. If you were decent in your French answer, that would not be a concern because they really didn't elaborate on what level of French they were looking for. If, however, it was clear that you had very little French experience and checked "both" anyway, that would be problematic. 

Agreed with this. 

Correct. You just had to pick "Both" under Languages Spoken in OMSAS. I don't think it's a big deal if you made a few errors. My French isn't perfect either, but I was able to answer the question, and the interviewer even responded by saying my French was good. So, making mistakes won't kill you! :) One important thing I've learned in my experience with French is not being afraid to make mistakes when speaking it out loud - the important thing is to communicate to the best of your knowledge and you'll keep improving. As the French would say, ne t'inquiète pas! 

Agreed with this. 

Thanks guys. Makes me feel a little better!

Just did a number crunch for fun:

164 accepted/575 interviewees = 28.5% chance of acceptance  (given both francophone (48 accepted) and anglophone applicants (116 accepted))

Assuming equal acceptance rates from both streams, 48/y = 0.285, 116/x = 0.285, which works out to about 168 francophone applicants interviewed, and 407 anglophone applicants interviewed (total of 575 interviewed).

Assuming then anglophones have an initial acceptance of 28%,  with a wait list movement of about 30%, that then puts about 151 people into the accepted category (whether initial acceptance or off the wait list). 151/407 = 37%, rounds to 40%

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone and is probably mostly speculation. But it would seem that post interview, anglophones have around 40% chance of acceptance.

Thoughts? 

When I was at the interview, they had a pamphlet/doc and from what I remember there were only around 95 people interviewing from the french stream.

I was accepted to McGill med yesterday and have an interview scheduled for this Saturday in the French stream. I am going to cancel the interview since McGill was my top choice. Hopefuly one of you wait listed candidates will get a call soon to offer you that spot! :)

Do you know if they will grant an additional interview in such a scenario?...if so how would they contact the individual by phone or email? (I'm assuming the interview would be on the last day)

And would the interview email from January mention a wait list if you were not accepted for an interview?

Do you know if they will grant an additional interview in such a scenario?...if so how would they contact the individual by phone or email? (I'm assuming the interview would be on the last day)

And would the interview email from January mention a wait list if you were not accepted for an interview?

I can't speak for Ottawa but I was waitlisted for the McGill interview and it clearly stated so in the letter and I received my interview invitation via email. I think it would be in their interest to fill that interview spot TBH. Good luck!

I can't speak for Ottawa but I was waitlisted for the McGill interview and it clearly stated so in the letter and I received my interview invitation via email. I think it would be in their interest to fill that interview spot TBH. Good luck!

That's so funny, my friend was just talking to me a couple of days ago about how Ottawa called her up for an interview in the French stream this saturday. She was really happy so you made her day!!!

Hey everyone! 

I was accepted to McGill Dentistry last week and made the decision today to give up my med interview at OttawaU (french stream). Hopefully someone will get a lucky call soon! I was scheduled for April 1st. 

Good luck everyone!

I have my interview on Wednesday, but recently I've read on the forums that there will be some french questions involved if you checked off both english and french in the application. I took FSL for 6 years but have not spoken french for the past 3 years... I am by no means bilingual. I had no idea that Ottawa was even going to look at that part of the application, let alone consider it (I would not have checked it off if I did). Should I say something at the begining of the interview about this? Or politely decline the question when I get asked if I dont understand it?

I have my interview on Wednesday, but recently I've read on the forums that there will be some french questions involved if you checked off both english and french in the application. I took FSL for 6 years but have not spoken french for the past 3 years... I am by no means bilingual. I had no idea that Ottawa was even going to look at that part of the application, let alone consider it (I would not have checked it off if I did). Should I say something at the begining of the interview about this? Or politely decline the question when I get asked if I dont understand it?

Had the same issue but only realized the mistake after my interview on Monday. Not sure what you decided to go with but I told my interviewers that the bilingual note must have been an error so they skipped the question. I sent in an email in yesterday after realizing what I had done on my original app.

That being said, does anyone know how bilingualism factors into the admissions process? I'm honestly just hoping it wasn't considered when they selected interviewees

Had a similar issue. I am functional in speaking French but not 100% bilingual. Did not realize they would ask me a french question but did my best in answering it. I think being bilingual would give you an advantage but not put you at a disadvantage. On the application it did not ask the level of proficiency, it simply asked if we could speak french.

Yeah, to be honest they should probably update the form to either specify what level of French is expected or allow the applicant to clarify their aural/oral skills.

"Bilingualism A bilingual applicant is one who speaks both of Canada’s official languages, English and French. If bilingual status is claimed, your level of proficiency in both languages will be tested at the time of the interview."

Taken straight from OMSAS, I think it is extremely fair- there is already quite a bit of dishonesty that comes with med applications. This is quality control so that applicants who say they can communicate in both languages can actually do so.

If you checked off the box to be more competitive and lack basic understanding of French it's your own fault- they warn you ahead of time that you will be tested so no mercy here.

When you check off that box you are saying you belong to one of two groups: 1) Fluent in French- no problems here 2) Comfortable in French (you have a basic level of understanding that would allow you to hold a conversation in French).

As for two equally ranked candidates- obviously the one who is bilingual would get priority. 

"Bilingualism A bilingual applicant is one who speaks both of Canada’s official languages, English and French. If bilingual status is claimed, your level of proficiency in both languages will be tested at the time of the interview."

Taken straight from OMSAS, I think it is extremely fair- there is already quite a bit of dishonesty that comes with med applications. This is quality control so that applicants who say they can communicate in both languages can actually do so.

If you checked off the box to be more competitive and lack basic understanding of French it's your own fault- they warn you ahead of time that you will be tested so no mercy here.

When you check off that box you are saying you belong to one of two groups: 1) Fluent in French- no problems here 2) Comfortable in French (you have a basic level of understanding that would allow you to hold a conversation in French).

As for two equally ranked candidates- obviously the one who is bilingual would get priority. 

I agree with everything you've said. However, I would argue that the quote from OMSAS could be made more clear. For example, an explanation of what they're expecting (exactly as you've written in your post) would eliminate all ambiguity and thus give applicants who checked the box but don't really understand/speak French no leg to stand on come interview time. 

I agree with everything you've said. However, I would argue that the quote from OMSAS could be made more clear. For example, an explanation of what they're expecting (exactly as you've written in your post) would eliminate all ambiguity and thus give applicants who checked the box but don't really understand/speak French no leg to stand on come interview time. 

I think bilingual  is  a very clear term. How someone can be bilingual and not be able to hold a conversation in both languages to me means that person is not honest. I also think there should be no mercy with such applicants. 

I think bilingual  is  a very clear term. How someone can be bilingual and not be able to hold a conversation in both languages to me means that person is not honest. I also think there should be no mercy with such applicants. 

The application did not say bilingual. It said speaks french: yes or no. I can speak french but am not 100% bilingual

Clearly there are differing opinions here. And that's fair. But I think the very fact that we're having this discussion indicates that the process should in some way be altered to ensure that no one is confused nor attempting to gain an undeserved advantage.

To be clear, I'm not making this statement because I was unable to answer the question. I speak French and had no issue with the questions asked (in fact, they asked me two of them in French). I'm just trying to empathize with some of the above posters who didn't know whether they qualified when all the application said was "Speaks English, French, or Both."

Clearly there are differing opinions here. And that's fair. But I think the very fact that we're having this discussion indicates that the process should in some way be altered to ensure that no one is confused nor attempting to gain an undeserved advantage.

To be clear, I'm not making this statement because I was unable to answer the question. I speak French and had no issue with the questions asked (in fact, they asked me two of them in French). I'm just trying to empathize with some of the above posters who didn't know whether they qualified when all the application said was "Speaks English, French, or Both."

While I agree with you that it should have a better wording, with all honesty I still think having a choice such as "Speaks English, French, or Both" is clear enough.  How someone can speak french and not be able to engage in conversation. ( I know ppl say it did not clarify the level of knowledge but within the context of the application and the nature of bilingual applicant pool it is obvious)  

Had the same issue but only realized the mistake after my interview on Monday. Not sure what you decided to go with but I told my interviewers that the bilingual note must have been an error so they skipped the question. I sent in an email in yesterday after realizing what I had done on my original app.

That being said, does anyone know how bilingualism factors into the admissions process? I'm honestly just hoping it wasn't considered when they selected interviewees

I'm not sure whether being bilingual factors in pre- or post-interview (I'm thinking post-interview, because they can test your bilingual skills then. I really hope it's not pre-interview, because that would give an unfair advantage to those who are not actually proficient in French), but according to Ottawa's website: 

"Offers of admission will be made on the basis of eligibility requirements, of academic excellence followed by the results of the evaluation of the candidate’s file with emphasis on his/her accomplishments as outlined in the autobiographical sketch, and finally by the results of the interview performance combined with the academic performance.

All things being equal, preference will be given to those who have proficiency in both official languages at the University."

http://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/application-process/eligibility-requirements

It seems as if being bilingual does give you some kind of advantage at Ottawa then. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure whether being bilingual factors in pre- or post-interview (I'm thinking post-interview, because they can test your bilingual skills then. I really hope it's not pre-interview, because that would give an unfair advantage to those who are not actually proficient in French), but according to Ottawa's website: 

"Offers of admission will be made on the basis of eligibility requirements, of academic excellence followed by the results of the evaluation of the candidate’s file with emphasis on his/her accomplishments as outlined in the autobiographical sketch, and finally by the results of the interview performance combined with the academic performance.

All things being equal, preference will be given to those who have proficiency in both official languages at the University."

http://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/application-process/eligibility-requirements

It seems as if being bilingual does give you some kind of advantage at Ottawa then. 

I have never seen this being an issue, but then again, how can I really tell? 

I can however see why this is the case. After now completing just about two years of my education I find myself speaking in french on a semi-regular occurrence... and I am in the english stream. I think it comes down to the "toss of a coin" approach. All things being equal means that this is the last thing to be considered and they have exhausted all other options.

-GP

Archived