Premed 101 Forums

Does Anyone Make A Toronto-Ottawa Trip Often?

I need to make travel plans for Ottawa interview and I was wondering what experience people have had with Greyhound? I've heard horrible things but it's more than twice as much to take the via rail, so if I could get some feedback, that would be really helpful! 

To leave the greyhound bus stop and reach an OC Transpo bus stop to then get to the medical school is slightly complex, especially if you are from out of town. I recommend you take a taxi. There are always several taxis lined up right beside the greyhound bus stop.

Ok thanks! Does the same apply to the via rail station?

The via rail station is attached to an OC transpo bus station. So get on any bus that will take you to the Hurdman bus stop (just ask someone on the bus stop, because there are numerous buses that will take you to Hurdman). Once you get to Hurdman, get on the 106, and stay on it until you get to the bus stop called "Rehabilitation Centre" (which is on the hospital campus).

Just wanted to add:  

If you plan to take greyhound, the taxi is about $20 (tips included) to RGN.  

If you plan to take the bus, bring a presto pass with some money on it so you don't scramble for change.  If you don't have that, just look up the fares on OC transpo website and keep that with you.  SnowWhite is correct, you need to take whatever bus gets you to Hurdman first, and then transfer to bus 106 towards Elmvale.  Somewhere along that route it will stop at the general hospital.  According to google maps, the bus leaving greyhound is 101 (just ask the bus driver if they are going to pass Hurdman).  There are probably other buses that go to Hurdman too.  

Very important: 106 does not go to Rehab center on the weekends.  It stops at the Ottawa General Hospital (which is a few stops before rehab center). You'll know you are in the hospital because well, the bus stops right outside the General.  Once you get off, just ask around how to get to RGN from within the General,  If you can't figure it out,  follow roughly the following: Enter the general, go up the escalators, and look for Module O, once you get there, the signs will direct you to cross a corridor. Across that corridor is RGN. When you finish your interview, you will need to retrace your route back to the bus stop.  Did you remember to bring change to get back on the bus?  lol

If you plan to take VIA rail, take any bus that goes towards hurdman.  It's 2 stops away (about 2-3 minutes) and then transfer to 106 towards Elmvale and follow the instructions as above.  

Good luck!  

• 3 weeks later...

What is the parking situation like at RG Hall ? If possible I think for my interview day I may feel most comfortable just driving right to the building to save myself any stress from taking/figuring out public transit. My interview is on a Friday if weekday/weekend makes a difference. Thanks!

Archived