Premed 101 Forums

Schools That Allow Waiving Of Science Prerequisites To Take Second Year Undergrad Classes?

I am intending to take another year of undergrad courses for GPA purposes and would like to simultaneously take the prerequisites for American schools. A caveat is that I can't take any 100-level courses (or 200-level courses without prerequisites), as per Western's rules for the "special year", and I have not already taken first year biology or organic chemistry (I've taken >2 semesters of physics, >2 semesters of calc, 1 semester of general chem). I want to take second year courses in cell biology, biochemistry, etc. (which I know I'll be able to handle; I self-studied for the MCAT and did well), but most schools are very strict about these prerequisites. I'm willing to do the special year almost anywhere in Canada; does anyone know a school that would be more lenient with prerequisites? Thanks!

I am intending to take another year of undergrad courses for GPA purposes and would like to simultaneously take the prerequisites for American schools. A caveat is that I can't take any 100-level courses (or 200-level courses without prerequisites), as per Western's rules for the "special year", and I have not already taken first year biology or organic chemistry (I've taken >2 semesters of physics, >2 semesters of calc, 1 semester of general chem). I want to take second year courses in cell biology, biochemistry, etc. (which I know I'll be able to handle; I self-studied for the MCAT and did well), but most schools are very strict about these prerequisites. I'm willing to do the special year almost anywhere in Canada; does anyone know a school that would be more lenient with prerequisites? Thanks!

Very unlikely.

Just do the 100 levels during the summer, problem solved.

alternatively, just overload your terms.

Why is this very unlikely? Waiving prerequisites is fairly common in other fields, especially if the student has some concrete evidence that they are familiar with the background material.

But you don't have concrete evidence that you're familiar with the background from their perspective.

I agree in principle with you, i personally believe that someone could go through and learn a whole university science degree via a library card if they wanted to - but that's not the current system.

Doing well on the mcat wont mean anything to them. By all means, try, and maybe they won't mind at all.

But you will eventually have to take the freshman chemistry(2nd term) as a pre-req and likely the biology sequence as well.

As I see it, you can either take some of them during the summer, or take them during the year overloaded (since they are easy anyways, it shouldnt affect you much) or a combination of both.

UBC and UOttawa have both told me my year 2nd genetics course would count as a semester of bio, but that I would have to pick up another biology for the second prerequisite.

"BIOL 2341: Introduction to Genetics is accepted as a semester of Biology as long as the laboratory is on-site"

You will have to email each university individually with specific course outlines and details surrounding what courses you are hoping would substitute.

But you don't have concrete evidence that you're familiar with the background from their perspective.

I agree in principle with you, i personally believe that someone could go through and learn a whole university science degree via a library card if they wanted to - but that's not the current system.

Doing well on the mcat wont mean anything to them. By all means, try, and maybe they won't mind at all.

But you will eventually have to take the freshman chemistry(2nd term) as a pre-req and likely the biology sequence as well.

As I see it, you can either take some of them during the summer, or take them during the year overloaded (since they are easy anyways, it shouldnt affect you much) or a combination of both.

Yeah, as rachel_RN said, there is no reference to course level in the prerequisite requirements of Ottawa or US schools. They all say some variation of "two semesters bio, two semesters general chem, two semesters organic chem, one semester biochem". My intention is to take these semesters at the 200-level rather than 100 (the 200-level bio courses at U of T, for example, are still survey-style courses), and I'm sure there must be some schools that will let me do this. I will most likely not have time to take the prereqs in the summer (and there is no sense in wasting money doing it if I don't need to).

Yeah, as rachel_RN said, there is no reference to course level in the prerequisite requirements of Ottawa or US schools. They all say some variation of "two semesters bio, two semesters general chem, two semesters organic chem, one semester biochem". My intention is to take these semesters at the 200-level rather than 100 (the 200-level bio courses at U of T, for example, are still survey-style courses), and I'm sure there must be some schools that will let me do this. I will most likely not have time to take the prereqs in the summer (and there is no sense in wasting money doing it if I don't need to).

I completely agree about the biology, in general that isn't an issue.

I think we were mixed up as  i thought you were asking two different questions. 

You would still need to find a second general chemistry course, not sure if those are offered at a non 100 level version..?

Archived