Premed 101 Forums

Expression Of Interest During The Interview

Hi I am an American Med grad in carms

So during my McGill interview they said "...it seems you would be a great fit here..." I am really desperate to match somewhere in Ontario for ortho.... I would prefer to match in Toronto with McGill near the bottom of my list (I would rather stay in the US instead of matching outside of Ontario)

so my question is I never got any expression of interest from other programs during my actual interviews - does that mean I am  not ranked near the top of their list if I didn't get an expression of interest from them during the interview?

Is it common for programs to express interest in you during the interview only if you are near the top of their rank list?

Reading too much into anything anybody says during CaRMS is a recipe for disaster as far as I can understand it.

Some programs were definitely more positive with me than others.  I am still ranking programs in the order that I prefer them.  Nothing else to be done.

Hi I am an American Med grad in carms

So during my McGill interview they said "...it seems you would be a great fit here..." I am really desperate to match somewhere in Ontario for ortho.... I would prefer to match in Toronto with McGill near the bottom of my list (I would rather stay in the US instead of matching outside of Ontario)

so my question is I never got any expression of interest from other programs during my actual interviews - does that mean I am  not ranked near the top of their list if I didn't get an expression of interest from them during the interview?

Is it common for programs to express interest in you during the interview only if you are near the top of their rank list?

Your interviewers were being polite.  Don't read anything more into it than that.

and even if they weren't just being polite it doesn't matter - you simply have to rank the places in order of your preference. I cannot say that enough really - you will not be disadvantaged by picking over one that wants you highly. The carms algorithm simply does not work that way. If you rejected by places you want more and get to that school and they wanted you highly you will match there. That is worst case as you will potentially match to a choice above that you preferred more.

There are only two ways to lose in carms - 1) no one wants you more than anyone else that matched to a school you ranked 2) you get a suboptimal result by not ranking in order of personal preference. Number 2) happens when people try to complicate things and think what the school's rankings  matter with respect to your choices, and try some adjustment. They don't so don't bother.

Archived