Premed 101 Forums

Ccfp(Em) Training Over 2 Years?

jackson

Purely conjecture but because CCFP(EM) residency is competitive such I imagine that they wouldn't need to accept anyone who isn't able to commit to the 1 year schedule. Of course if a person went on maternity/paternity leave mid way through they would have to follow labour laws and make it over two years however barring that I suspect not. The CCFP(EM) year would be attached to a year of funding to cover admin costs/teaching costs, lockers, scheduling, space etc.

I mean you can always email the programs about this but I suspect it would be a big red flag on you application if you were to ask this before or during the interview.

What would be the reason? That would be important I would think :)

You probably won't want to run a clinic outside of doing the EM as the hours would be messed up to say the least. If it is a walk in sort of thing and you are just taking shits then there really isn't a financial advantage either actually (two years of part time on both is the same as full time years done separately within reason).

I do think it would be challenging just because the system doesn't have much flexibility except for family matters.

I've only ever heard of it for mat/pat leave.  I imagine funding would be an issue.  Perhaps if we knew more about your situation we could come up with suggestions to help you sell this to a PD.

If it is a walk in sort of thing and you are just taking shits then there really isn't a financial advantage either actually

Your voice recognition software appears to have gone off...  ;)

Thanks for these replies!

I suppose I was considering this from the standpoint of a re-entry physician, who has a life that would dovetail better with a"less intensive, more spread out" process.

So my interest is really more for the purely personal reasons of wanting to continue with other non-medical interests, maintain life-work balance, etc.

All of which, I'm sure, would just make me seem like a poorly motivated candidate if relayed to a PD.. although I really am very committed to doing EM!

I had also heard some time back about some people completing their CCFP training "part time," so was curious if any of the EM programs had this.

It does also make me wonder then what they do with the funding when someone does take maternity leave half way through.

Would make sense if they had the flexibility to fill someone else in mid-year so the funding wasn't lost..

I've only ever heard of it for mat/pat leave.  I imagine funding would be an issue.  Perhaps if we knew more about your situation we could come up with suggestions to help you sell this to a PD.

Your voice recognition software appears to have gone off...  ;)

"If it is a walk in sort of thing and you are just taking shifts then there really isn't a financial advantage either actually"

Oh the walk in bit was the only type of family med business I though you could easily do part time with part time residency(?). Taking shifts at a clinic? well maybe at least :)

Not to say my voice recognition system doesn't go hay wire from time to time on here. Ha - residency, who has time to type anymore.

"If it is a walk in sort of thing and you are just taking shits then there really isn't a financial advantage either actually"

Oh the walk in bit was the only type of family med business I though you could easily do part time with part time residency(?). Taking shifts at a clinic? well maybe at least :)

Not to say my voice recognition system doesn't go hay wire from time to time on here. Ha - residency, who has time to type anymore.

It was more the "taking shits" mis-transcription (note the lack of 'f') that I was trying to make a lame joke about.  Clearly I failed, or others don't have the same puerile sense of humour that I have...

As you were, carry on...

Thanks for these replies!

I suppose I was considering this from the standpoint of a re-entry physician, who has a life that would dovetail better with a"less intensive, more spread out" process.

So my interest is really more for the purely personal reasons of wanting to continue with other non-medical interests, maintain life-work balance, etc.

All of which, I'm sure, would just make me seem like a poorly motivated candidate if relayed to a PD.. although I really am very committed to doing EM!

I had also heard some time back about some people completing their CCFP training "part time," so was curious if any of the EM programs had this.

It does also make me wonder then what they do with the funding when someone does take maternity leave half way through.

Would make sense if they had the flexibility to fill someone else in mid-year so the funding wasn't lost..

Hmm...off the top of my head I can't think of a great way to spin that to a PD.  I'd probably just suck it up for a year, rather than dragging it out over two years but that's just me.

It was more the "taking shits" mis-transcription (note the lack of 'f') that I was trying to make a lame joke about.  Clearly I failed, or others don't have the same puerile sense of humour that I have...

As you were, carry on...

ha, no worries - forgive my post call malfunctioning brain :)

I haven't seen this done recently at all. The CCFP-EM program is an intense 1 year program where you hone down your acute care and emergency medicine skills. How did you envision doing this part-time? Your off-service rotations, like anesthesia and ICU, would be very difficult to do part-time. You could argue to have shift reduction during your EM rotations, but what's the point of just working 8 shifts a month? How would you become an expert in EM by just working that few shifts... The majority of CCFP-EM grads choose to do full-time emerg work in their first few years after graduating just to get comfortable with their EM skills.

It's possible to do clinic work and short locums during the year, but that would be on your own time, ie. when you're not scheduled to work an emerg shift or during your vacation time. Some CCFP-EM programs also have regular Tintinalli rounds or quizzes/tests. Again, not sure how you could do this part-time.

I haven't seen this done recently at all. The CCFP-EM program is an intense 1 year program where you hone down your acute care and emergency medicine skills. How did you envision doing this part-time? Your off-service rotations, like anesthesia and ICU, would be very difficult to do part-time. You could argue to have shift reduction during your EM rotations, but what's the point of just working 8 shifts a month? How would you become an expert in EM by just working that few shifts... The majority of CCFP-EM grads choose to do full-time emerg work in their first few years after graduating just to get comfortable with their EM skills.

It's possible to do clinic work and short locums during the year, but that would be on your own time, ie. when you're not scheduled to work an emerg shift or during your vacation time. Some CCFP-EM programs also have regular Tintinalli rounds or quizzes/tests. Again, not sure how you could do this part-time.

In addition to all these great points - the CCFP-EM program is super competitive, and you would be hard-pressed to make yourself look like a good candidate if you brought this up during the application process, and I think find yourself out of luck if you sprung it on them after you had matched. 

Archived